Author Topic: Vertical File/Buffer tabs  (Read 3026 times)

asandler

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 27
Vertical File/Buffer tabs
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »
Allow buffer tabs toolbar positioned vertically.
This is useful when working with laptop computer. Modern laptops often have 9x16 height vs. width ratio. This makes vertical screen space expensive, while there is plenty of space horizontally. So, what I usually do to make things more convenient is getting rid of all bottom toolbars giving entire height of the screen to code window. Other toolbars remain in portrait mode, so no problems here.
Buffer tabs toolbar is very useful, but it cannot be placed in portrait mode. I.e. you can, but tabs inside still positioned horizontally, so placing it in portrait mode doesn't help much. You can remove it too, but it is just too useful.
I guess the right way of fixing this is to make buffer tabs toolbar to identify its mode (portrait or landscape) and place the tabs accordingly.

Thanks.
Alex.

thierry

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Vertical File/Buffer tabs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Hi,

- For view->tool windows->file tabs: File tabs that would grow vertically when full instead of putting those small arrows to navigate.
- Fix the exclusion parameter mayhem: The syntax change depending on the window and I was never successful of using this feature for complex exclusions.
- Support parsing some compiler extensions for tag database. For example, the following is not tagged properly with GCC:

typedef struct {
    int                     x;
} __attribute__((__packed__)) my_struct_t;

After tagging, when searching for the my_struct_t reference, it is unknown. I know you guys cannot support all extensions of all compilers, but GCC is pretty widely used.

- Better documentation: sometimes, the GUI screen shots and descriptions doesn't match the UI in Linux. For example, the add tree dialog: where is the symlinks checkbox?
- Talking of symlinks: in add tree dialog: a symlink checkbox that actually works. Even when unchecked, symlinked files are still added to the project.

shom5xg

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:32:18 AM »
I would like to line up the buffers vertically.
The current system of File tab don't fullfill my hope.

thierry

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
File Tab window that can grow vertically as you open files. I always have 20+ files open at the same time so I hate to scroll the file tab window left and right to find an open file.

So an option to allow the File tab window to grow vertically (all tabs visible on screen) would be awesome.

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »
The File Tabs toolbar is my ultimate window into SlickEdit.  But it's rather limited.  I'd like the toolbar functionality expanded as follows:

• Multiline tabs. Tabs would be put onto multiple lines as room allows.  If the last line doesn't have enough room to hold the rest of the tabs, the user could either open the toolbar larger to add another line of tabs or go to the down arrow to see the file list.
  • Vertical tab list. Have an option for tabs to be listed vertically so that the toolbar could be docked on the side.  And similar to multiline tabs, vertical lists could be done in multiple columns depending on window size.