Author Topic: Better ways to close files  (Read 4833 times)

Randall Parker

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Better ways to close files
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:46:51 AM »
More suggestions:

1) After clicking on a tab for a file that tab ought to stay visible.

2) Better ways to close files. When a large number of files are open since the current focus file's tab is not visible there is no right click choose for closing files. Also, the Files | Close shows no key mapping for closing files. Also, there's no obvious way to pop up the dialog box (which I recall from previous vse versions with the Brief key mapping which I no longer use) that shows a list of files for rapid closing.

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Better ways to close files
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22:59 AM »
@Randall Parker: using the Files TB resp. 'activate-files' aka. 'list-buffers' command allows to select 'n close buffers in a quite convenient way.
HS2

skywise

• Hero Points: 10
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »
Two requests here-

Support code-assist in files open in the worksapce but which haven't been added to a tagfile or project yet.
- It'd be nice if there would be someway of enabling a workspace tag file which would tag files currently opened in the window but which aren't assigned to a project or tag file.  I code in C++ and usually build with separate makefiles.  I  tend to create one class per .h/.cpp file pair and will usually generate several of these when coding before organizing the whole thing in a slickedit project.  The downside to this is that I lose code-assist features.  I've tried adopting my process by using SlickEdit's class creation tools and auto-inserting into a project but when I'm rapid prototyping some classes I don't want to be bothered with that much organization, especially when the classes might get trashed as I discover different connections.  (I have found myself shifting to coding everything in the .H file for prototyping which somewhat works around this but calling from different classes is still problematic).

For the lazy - Close unused, unmodified files after X amount of time.
- I never close my windows.  As a result I'll end up having dozens of windows open in Slickedit making for a lot of windows hanging around.  It'd be an interesting feature to have the editor "clean up" my workspace by closing some of the windows after so many hours of non-use.  I think this would also help performance somewhat.  This could be user configurable to select a "max open threshold" and a time for windows to expire.

billster6809

• New Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »
1. Close button on each tab
2. Quick find in toolbar rather than separate popup

rh

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »
Close [X] button on file tabs.  I've come to expect them and have become accustomed to using them in other apps. 

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »
Middle-click on the tab closes the tab.  I use TabMix Plus on Firefox to make the [X] on the Firefox tabs go away, among other goodies.  :-)  And I use middle-click to close tabs on FF, too.

rh

• Hero Points: 6
Better ways to close files
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »
Ok, neat, had to reprogram my wheel-click from zoom to click but it works.  Never used zoom anyway except accidentally  ;D

algorhythm

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 05:48:24 AM »
Option for close button on file tabs.

DKLind

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 08:43:23 PM »
A button on the Linux version, as in the Windows version, to close a buffer.

--==--
DKLind

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
I have the following suggestions for the files toolbar.  I've been hacking the code in tbfilelist.e to do some of these myself.

• Single click to open a buffer, ctrl+click to select instead of single click.
  • I have the files toolbar docked at the right of the mdi window and always visible with only the name column showing and minimum width. On the toolbar, instead of squishing up the filter edit box to nothing but still showing the save/ close buttons etc (which I don't need), I would prefer that the filter box was last to "disappear"
  • Don't have any icons appearing in the name column as they tend to be all the same for me and just waste space.
  • Add "show folder in the open toolbar" to the right click menu; also "copy path" and "explore folder"
  • Last but not least - when the filenames are sorted by path, have an option for showing the name of each folder as an entry itself in the list in the names column, and colored orange so that I can see the name of the folder that the following files in the list belong to without the path column being visible

skywise

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »
The ability to right click on the title bar of an MDI window and copy the filepath/filename of the file to the clipboard.  I constantly find myself wanting to email/IM co-workers about code I'm inspecting and I don't want to have to type several dozen characters for the relevant path just to do so.  (Bonus feature:  Or enable it from the context menu, and include the line number as well (IE c:\projects\myproject\mysubproj\afilename.cpp:122)

hs2

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »
@skywise: For the time being you might find this and also this macros useful. The latter contains just one more 'ccbp' macro and a slightly improved 'text_to_clipboard'. You can add a custom command to the context menu of the edit window.
HS2

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
@skywise, if you show the File Tabs Tool Window, there is a context menu item to "Copy Full Path to Clipboard".  It may not be ideal for you, but it's there.

skywise

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 04:13:45 AM »
@Phil Barila
Thanks, I don't use the File Tabs tool window (I'm to lazy to close files and have too many files open at any one time!)  But I DO use the Open Tool window and you can do the same thing there (but, surprisingly, not the files tool window)

hs2

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 09:03:10 AM »
@skywise: Although not provided in the context menu of the Files TB you can copy the full filename of the selected file by 'CTRL-C'.
I think the 'copy' entry in the context menu should be added there as well.
HS2