Author Topic: How can I control the width of a newly opened file?  (Read 2782 times)

TxDot

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
How can I control the width of a newly opened file?
« on: April 18, 2007, 03:24:33 pm »
I just got a new 20" wide monitor and when I open a file in SE the width of the buffer is much wider than it needs to be. It appears that SE uses a percentage of the main SE window for the width and height of each buffer. Since I run SE full screen this is quite wide! I have the Vertical line column set to 100 so I would like to limit the width if each buffer to 105. Is this possible and if so how do I do it?

Tim Kemp

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 88
Re: How can I control the width of a newly opened file?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 05:46:02 pm »
There are a number of macros to do this; just search through these forums.  However, every one of them that I've tried fails (dies with a stack dump) under certain conditions.

It is not a native feature of SlickEdit.  There have been numerous requests for it though, so maybe someday...

- Tim

TxDot

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:00:39 pm »
I did do a search but the posts all seem to be related to listing buffers. I used these search arguments; "open new window size" and "open new buffer size". Can you suggest better arguments?

TxDot

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 04:13:42 pm »
Thanks Tim. I guess you're a better searcher than I. I downloaded the resize.e sample and am using that as the basis for what I want to do. Ultimately I want the macro do set the window width based on the file extension (for a known extension) and use the Vertical Line Column value as the default width. I also want to set the window height to the maximum size allowable in the SDI window. Any ideas on how to determine what that is?