Author Topic: Selective Display enhancements  (Read 2854 times)

rgloden

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
Selective Display enhancements
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
When I do a Selective Display, I should be able to Edit / Search/Replace just those lines being displayed; lines not being shown should not be affected.

For instance, if I do a Selective Display/Search Text and find discontiguous lines, I would like to be able to block select and then Enumerate Fill just those lines being displayed, e.g.

Header_Data_01 := 17;
Header_Text_01 := “Test23”;
Header_Data_02 := 18;
Header_Text_01 := “Test42”;
Header_Data_03 := 19;
Header_Text_01 := “Test27”;

I want to be able to Selective Display/Search Test => Header_Data
Then block select the assignment values and replace using the Enumerate Value.

This should also work with other edits (e.g. delete or insert) when a block is selected in Selective Display mode.

jorgeguzmanj

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Selective Display enhancements
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 04:55:08 PM »
>>   color the code that are really compiled, the other mark it as comments or similar.  It's like the View/Selective Display/ preprocessor directives feature but coloring code instead of contract or expand it.

>>   Both the coloring features proposal and the actual Selective display/preprocessor directives shold work for a complete project, not only for the file you enable the option. The great of this features are that they help you to visualize the code that is actually compiled, but we don't want to spend time configuring this option for each file/module we have in a project with hundreds of files.

tlholaday

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
  • Text text wonderful text
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »
Outline-like XML collapse / expand.

I want to be able to turn this  ...

<A>
   <B>
      <C>
      </C>
   </B>
[/url]

... into this:

<A>[/url]

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 02:21:02 AM »
Outline-like XML collapse / expand.

I want to be able to turn this  ...

<A>
   <B>
      <C>
      </C>
   </B>
[/url]

... into this:

<A>[/url]

The functionality in the View > Expand/Collapse block... command comes fairly close, I think. It doesn't bring the closing tag up to the same line. We also recently (in a hotfix for 14.0.2) tweaked this to better collapse multi-line nodes without an end tag.

mtaylor_emeraldcave_net

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »
I would like to see a way to browse symbols in a file and have an editor window that ONLY displays the contents of the selected symbol.  Something like the Preview window but with the contents of the file above and below the selected symbol hidden.  I remember something like this in VisualAge from IBM and I think it would very extremely helpful.  I am maintaining some old C code with HUGE functions.  It would be invaluable to be able to select one and then operate on the function like a separate file almost.  Search, Search/Replace, Home, End, etc.... would work within this box for navigating.  I don't have the luxury of reformatting and re-factoring this software since I am using quilt to patch someone else's code.

Maybe there is already a way to do this? 

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:46:50 PM »
Have a look at the existing, very powerful 'Selective Display' feature.
In your case the convenient 'show-current-proc' command (e.g. invoked on SE cmdline) might be useful.
When searching/replacing uncheck 'Search hidden text' and you are fine.
You can also hide/show code parts within functions.
HS2

Hint: Consider to add some keybindigs or toolbar buttons to sel.disp. commands like 'plusminus', 'show-all', 'toggle-all-outlining', etc.
It helps a lot especially when maintaining a legacy code base.

RobertH2

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »
I used SlickEdit many years ago and loved it. The only reason I stopped was because the company I worked for had an IDE that had to be used by all programmers.

I came back to SlickEdit recently because my current editor did not do code folding (selective display). The main thing I really really want is to have line indicators, in the left gutter (where the + and - signs reside), of the lines involved in an unfolded code/text block.

A lot of things can be coded around by the end user, but this is not one of them.

Thanks!

tumelo

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 08:33:26 AM »
A friend recommended sclickedit to me due to its support for VOS FTP. I am currently using trial version and have few days left.
1  Collapse code is a must have for any code editor.
2 CTRL+F3 does not select current text for searching and F3 does not search next. This feature is standard in major code editors. ultraedit, netbeans, eclipse , VS , code blocks to name a few.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
@tumelo

Welcome to SlickEdit. The features you are looking for are there.

1) Turn on Selective Display. It is in the View menu (View->Selective Display...).
2) If you have selected a keyboard emulation that uses those keys for those functions it ought to just work. If you selected a different keyboard emulation you can still bind those functions to those keys.

The functions you are looking for are gui_find to start the search and find-next to jump to the next matching text. To change key bindings, go to Tools->Options->Keyboard and Mouse->Key Bindings.

To add a new binding:
  • find the command you want
  • select its line
  • click Add...
  • type the key sequence you want to bind the command to
  • click Bind
You probably want to also turn on the feature to initialize the search string to the selected text. You do that by turning on Tools->Options->Editing->Search->Selected text (if exists).

For additional questions you should probably start new topics. This thread is for requesting new features. It's so long that there is a good chance it will get missed.