Author Topic: Called tree (like call tree and references)  (Read 4800 times)

at5dapa1

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 24
Called tree (like call tree and references)
« on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »
If not already posted or in SE14:
 - "Called tree" something complementing calling tree (discussed here http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4498.msg18932#msg18932)
 - button to freeze/unfreeze Preview window
 - possibility to select something in Preview window and Copy/Paste/GotoDef/GotoRef...
 - manual quick highlight selection, case sensitive and not (there are already some macros for this)

pdebonte

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Called tree (like call tree and references)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »
I'd like to have reverse call trees in SlickEdit, i.e. a tree of functions calling a selected function.  This is a feature provided by the free utility "cscope" (which I had been using with the CCTree plugin for Vim).  Searching the SlickEdit community forum for "cscope" shows other cscope users who also miss this feature.  I'm now using the push-refs function, but I'd like something that traced multiple call levels [e.g. all the way back to main()], and had a GUI similar to SlickEdits normal, forward call tree.

Thanks, :)
-Pete

[q.v. http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4972.msg26292#msg26292 for another user's vote for this.]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:52:46 PM by pdebonte »

MikeDavies

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »
Function Call Tree.  The current <Defs/Show Call Tree> does not do what it says on the tin and is completely useless.  What is required is a function that will show just the function call tree for a particular function, up as well as down.

Mike

pdebonte

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »
Function Call Tree.  The current <Defs/Show Call Tree> does not do what it says on the tin and is completely useless.  What is required is a function that will show just the function call tree for a particular function, up as well as down.

Mike

Me too!  I miss this from Vim, where I used the CCTree plugin, q.v.: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4972.msg25735#msg25735

-Pete
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:10:29 PM by pdebonte »

HairySasquatchFL

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
I would love a feature to find a caller tree for a symbol. Simillar to find references, but then it would find references for all instances that use the original symbol until a root was found. This would greatly help in understanding how a symbol is used which will help understand the implications of changing it.

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:31:47 PM »
In eclipse, you can highlight a call to some C/C++ function, right click and do "Open Call Hierarchy".

This shows more information than the "References" window in SE.  It shows all the chains of function calling that led to the function you are searching for.

The eclipse "Open Call Hierarchy" not only shows which functions are calling your functions (SE references window only shows the caller), but it shows the "grandfather", and other ancestors on the call tree.

It would be very useful to have this in SE.

For example, lets say we have this situation in the code:

funcA() calls funcB()
funcB() calls funcC()
funcD() calls funcE()
funcE() calls funcC()

Then if I do "Open Call Hierarchy" in eclipse on funcC(), I see a tree like structure as follows:

funcC
  funcB
    funcA
funcC
  funcE
    funcD

So I can see down the whole chain the hierarchy of function calls that could lead to funcC() getting called.

I can also click anywhere in the hierarchy to find the line of code where the call is happening in the grandfather/great-grandfather function, etc.

I don't see this same functionality in SE, and I think it could be very useful to add it if it is not already there.

If this is already in SE, please let me know how to find it.

RaffoPazzo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
+1 for function callers hierarchy.

I've also described how it might be integrated into the existing "Reference" window in the following post: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,9174.msg41185.html#msg41185