Author Topic: Background tagging  (Read 966 times)

greggman

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
Background tagging
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:15:29 pm »
I'm working on a big project with lots of 3rd party libraries. Every time I sync to a new version there's a 1-2 minute wait while Slickedit re-tags the files. Visual Studio does this in the background so I can work immediately. It would be nice if slickedit could do that too.

thanks for listening.

greggman

Re: Background tagging
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:18:48 pm »
I'm working on a big project with lots of 3rd party libraries. Every time I sync to a new version there's a 1-2 minute wait while Slickedit re-tags the files. Visual Studio does this in the background so I can work immediately. It would be nice if slickedit could do that too.

thanks for listening.

Actually, I hope someone is listening out there because this really sucks.  Here's what happens.

1) Slickedit is not open yet.
2) I sync my project to the latest version
3) I do some other random work (or not)
4) I launch slickedit to edit some file not related to my project

What should happen:

I should be able to start editing as soon as slickedit stats.

What actually happens.

Slickedit reloads my current project, notices the tags are out of date, starts a tagging files. This takes 2-15 minutes depending on whether the mandatory virus scanning software kicks in or not. During that time I CAN NOT DO ANY WORK!!!

So I'm begging you.

1) In the short term, put a "STOP" or "CANCEL" button on the "Building Tag File..." so I can get back to work immediately

2) In the long term, separate tagging into a separate process. You can build the tag files under different names and when they are finished move them to the actual tag file locations and reload them or something.

Seriously, I'm dying here.

If you want a test chase. Here's my project
http://chromium.org

(ps: At the time I finished this message, slickedit is at the 56% mark tagging :-()

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:02:50 pm »
I agree with greggman. Long time ago I posted a somehow related, minor 'feature' request.
It would be nice if there is an additional commandline/invocation option to intentionally omit resp. override all workspace related restoring etc. even if the corr. SE option is set.
This should allow doing some quick, unrelated file changes making use of SE's superior editing capabiliies but retaining the/my std. configuration (Restore workspace ON, etc.)
I've patched that into v12:main.e/restore.e time ago and it was really useful...
I think I've just checked if some files were specified as commandline args, added a restore option 'W' in main to tell restore to skip the heavy parts of the workspace restore stuff.
A kind of 'file edit' or default workspace could help to save/restore the window layout etc. (but discarding the opened file) list in this case.
Any chance ?
HS2

lambertia

• I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:19:48 pm »
v15 tags in the background...

hp

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:14:04 am »
I agree with greggman. Long time ago I posted a somehow related, minor 'feature' request.
It would be nice if there is an additional commandline/invocation option to intentionally omit resp. override all workspace related restoring etc. even if the corr. SE option is set.
This should allow doing some quick, unrelated file changes making use of SE's superior editing capabiliies but retaining the/my std. configuration (Restore workspace ON, etc.)
I've patched that into v12:main.e/restore.e time ago and it was really useful...
I think I've just checked if some files were specified as commandline args, added a restore option 'W' in main to tell restore to skip the heavy parts of the workspace restore stuff.
A kind of 'file edit' or default workspace could help to save/restore the window layout etc. (but discarding the opened file) list in this case.
Any chance ?
HS2

+1 vote on that one. Normally I use SlickEdit in the project context, but it happens from time to time that I just want to edit a text file or xml file that is not in a project context. If Slickedit is not already open, then it will load the project workspace, it will connect to my Clearcase VOB and as already mentioned, if it comes to the pinch it will also rebuild the tag file. It would be nice to have all this initialization of a workspace in a separated thread, so you can start working as soon as the basic framework of slick is loaded.

pmwhite

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 7
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 01:23:21 pm »
An improvement/bugfix: when I have the Background Processes window open (by clicking the clock on the far right of the taskbar), that window does not update when background processes complete. The only way to get the window to update is to close and reopen it.