Author Topic: Remove non-existent projects/files from MRU lists (optional?)  (Read 7281 times)

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
Feature request.

It might be nice if items in the File and Project menu Most Recently Used (MRU) lists that no longer exist would go away (either automatically) or after trying to open them and failing (perhaps with user confirmation?).  Or maybe allow some other way of pruning the MRU list(s)?

Sometimes we move or delete projects and files.

Obviously only a minor annoyance.

BTW:  should this type of issue/request be sent directly to support instead of posting to the forum?

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 112
Re: Remove non-existent projects/files from MRU lists (optional?)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 12:36:41 pm »
Good news.  That one is already there.  You can remove them using Tools > Options > History...  There is an option to remove any and all in the projects and file history.

LBCEi

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:53:56 am »
Thanks for your response.

It is nice to know that this is "possible".  However, the implementation using Tools > Options > History leaves something to be desired.  As you may see in the attached snapshot,  it is not possible to tell the difference between projects that are similar at the beginning and end of their full path.  In other words, using this dialog I can't tell which projects are the ones I want to keep (the ones that still exist).  The attached example image shows three projects that, as far as can be seen from this dialog, are the same.  However, they are not the same and one of them no longer exists.

There isn't even a tooltips type expansion of the full path when hovering over one of the items in this dialog.  Since the "Items:" box in this dialog has a horizontal scroll bar maybe it could just show the full (not abbreviated) path so we can tell which project is which (without the need to add tooltips or other tricks to see the full path).

When the SlickEdit Project menu MRU list is accessed, the full path shows up in the status bar at the bottom of the main SlickEdit window (which is good since I can at least use this to figure out which of the MRU list items I want to select).  But one cannot delete items here where one can see what those items are. 

If I can assume that these items are listed in the same order on the Tools > Options > History dialog that they are on the Project window I can clean up this MRU list by finding out what position the obsolete project is in on the menu and then deleting the item in the same position on the Tools > Options > History dialog.  Hardly convenient.

If I select a project that no longer exists from the Project menu MRU list, Slickedit recognizes that the project is not found.  Oddly however the warning dialog says:  "Could not save workspace file 'C:\Documents...(snip)...vpw'  Path not found." (emphasis mine).  What was trying to be saved?  The warning references the project I selected from the MRU list--not the one I had open at the time.  When I click OK, I get another warning dialog saying the same project was not found.  Obviously Slickedit can tell that the project does not exist.  Could it not ask (on one of the two warning dialogs--why two, by the way?) whether I want to delete it from the MRU list?

Obviously the same comments apply to the Files MRU list and the Tools>Options>History dialog for the files history.

Thanks again

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:01:25 am by LBCEi »

LBCEi

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 03:32:40 am »
I just tried using the order of the items in the Project MRU list (where I can tell which project is which) to decide which project to delete from the Tools>Options>History Project Menu items and it did not work.  Apparently these are not in the same order.  I ended up deleting all three projects that looked similar (when the full path is compressed) before the one I really wanted to delete (because it no longer exists) went away.

Another interesting thing:  the items I deleted using Tools>Options>History (the two workspaces that still exist and the one that doesn't) still show up on the Project>All Workspaces submenu.  What is the intended purpose of the All Workspaces submenu?

As I said before this issue is only a minor inconvenience.

pdebonte

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:56:20 pm »
LBCEi,

I found an under-the-counter way to modify the All Workspaces list.  (Note that I did all of this with SlickEdit closed: I used gVim :)

In my 15.0.0 config, it seems to be stored in vusrdefs.e as "p1_WORKSPACE_LIST" [Caveat: It isn't "p3_WORKSPACE_LIST", which contains the Sample Workspaces].  I was careful to keep the &def_workspace_info[] indexes sequential after my edit.

Unfortunately, just pruning this list didn't change the list until I also deleted my vslick.sta and vrestore.slk.   [2011 EDIT: DON'T DO THIS: YOU'LL LOSE MANY SETTINGS AND SLICKEDIT 2011 PROVIDES A FEATURE TO EDIT THE WORKSPACE LIST] Maybe one or both of those deletions forced SlickEdit to reload the vusrdefs.e.

Share & Enjoy :)
-Pete
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:03:48 pm by pdebonte »

pdebonte

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:30 pm »
I just realized that SlickEdit 2011 has Project > Organize All Workspaces…, which for me handled this nicely
[Apology: I wrote my original suggestion, below, for SlickEdit 15.0, i.e. 2010]