Author Topic: Wildcard Project performance improvements  (Read 744 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 104
Wildcard Project performance improvements
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »
I would like to see better support for network drives on Windows.

Currently, if I have a project where the source files on a network drive have been added with "Add as wildcard", then SE is unusable as it is constantly freezing up.

rowbearto

Re: Wildcard Project performance improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:29:26 pm »
Perform more file IO in background threads, and not in the GUI thread, to minimize blocking.

This could be helpful for accessing files off of a network drive, especially if the project has files added with wildcard.

JeffB

• Hero Points: 14
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 05:35:10 pm »
I would like to use the wildcard option when adding files to projects; however, many of my projects have >100k files, which makes startup too slow because it has to search for new files on startup.  I think this has been brought up before, but it would be nice to postpone the new files to add/old files to delete searching until it could be off-loaded onto a background thread.  I understand that could be a fair amount of work, so in the meantime, would it be possible to change the wildcard to have a manual-update behavior such that it would never look for new/old files unless I specifically told it to do so?

This would make my project-refreshes easier because now, I have to do "Refresh" which will take 5+ minutes to remove missing files, then "Add Tree", which usually defaults to the wrong directory and the wrong filter "Include filespecs" tag, and takes another 5 minutes to go back through all the files and add new ones.  I'd like to just be able to click "Refresh" or some other button and have it do all this at once, which, I think, would be faster too, since it only has to traverse the directory tree (which is over NFS) once.

rowbearto

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:24:03 am »
JeffB:

chrisant wrote a great macro that allows you to update your project on demand, and never automatically. I also like its semantics better than what SE provides with the wildcard option - a much richer way to describe which sets of files to include in the project, and also what to exclude.

See this thread:

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,3262.0.html

I think SE could benefit nicely if it incorporated the semantics of this macro, along with its capability to only update on demand the file list, instead of doing it automatically - which ended up freezing projects I had with files on the network drive.

Rob

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 01:39:46 am »
What would be _really_ nice is if SE had an option to watch a directory (or set of directories) for new (or removed) files, and prompt me to add/remove (or ignore) the files from the project when a change is detected.
That would be what the wildcard form of project is for.

wconley

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:07:56 pm »
1. Improve 'Add as wildcard' feature to automatically add files to a project. This feature currently does not work well with large projects. Suggest re-scanning upon demand rather than at every launch.

2. Ability to generate flowcharts from C-code. Allow user to view flowchart graphically or paste DOT code into source file for doxygen.