Author Topic: Removal of recently used items  (Read 715 times)

pdebonte

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Removal of recently used items
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:53:01 pm »
I'd like to vote for this Recently Used list feature: <http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1439.0>, as I agree with that poster that Options-Tools-History can work but is less convenient.

Thanks,
-Pete
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:14:41 pm by pdebonte »

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 28
Re: Removal of recently used items
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:33:15 pm »
pdebonte, a problem with automatic removal is that SE would need to check whether the project files exist or not. PSPad used to do this and it was a right pain - I'd edit some file on a removable drive or across the network, and next PSPad started up it'd hang for some time until the OS decided I couldn't access the net files.

Additionally,  sometimes the project files aren't visible now, but they will be next time I want to access them. I'd be very unimpressed if SE removed them in the meantime.

It's a nice idea and one I'd sometimes wish would happen, but what we often don't realise is that this silver lining has a cloud attached. A switchable option would fix that, though.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:35:45 pm by dunkers »

pdebonte

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:24:46 pm »
dunkers: how about handling it like Visual Studio [I'm using 2005 Express], which asks:

"The file or folder 'D:\path\file.ext' cannot be opened.  Do you want to remove the reference(s) to it from the Recent list(s)?"

[Screenshot of dialog attached]

As for your concern about the OS hanging, maybe I should clarify: Visual Studio does this only when you try to open a nonexistent file via the MRU list, it doesn't test every file on the list on startup (do I understand your PSPad annoyance correctly?).

Thanks,
-Pete
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:31:58 pm by pdebonte »

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 28
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 01:57:16 pm »
Sure, that would seem to cover things - the VS approach, in particular, looks to be a happy medium :)

The PSPad behaviour was when it opened or closed a file. That would mean during startup if it was opened with a file (reload last file, perhaps, or on the command line), and when shutting down. The reason for the check was to remove non-existent stuff from the MRU, but in the case of files they would fall off quite quickly just through new files taking their place. The problem was resolved quickly once it had been described to the developer.