Author Topic: Ability to run SlickEdit from thumb drive  (Read 3062 times)

MikeDavies

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Ability to run SlickEdit from thumb drive
« on: August 03, 2010, 07:58:54 AM »
Hi,

Maybe it is already available but I couldn't find any reference to it on these forums, but I think a really useful feature would be if SlickEdit was compatible with the http://portableapps.com framework so I could install it onto a USB thumb drive and have it available on my keychain at all times.  Any coments on this ?  Or does anyone know if it's already possible ?

Mike

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Re: Ability to run SlickEdit from thumb drive
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:10:48 AM »
I think portability is probably available now using the -sc command line switch to point to a config directory. So far as I know, SE doesn't use the Windows registry (Yay!) for anything serious, so if you can arrange for the config path to always be valid then Bob is your uncle. I guess that's the tricky bit (i.e. knowing the USB stick is always, say, F: or something).

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 02:08:45 PM »
This is a relatively old thing, though I don't use it myself.  Install it directly to the jump drive and copy your license file to the jump drive as well.  Set the config path to a directory on the jump drive.... 

In any event, it's fairly quick to turn it on & get it going.  Search the forums for "Thumb drive" or "jump drive" and you should fall into it.

Jim

jej45

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
A portable version would be useful. Could install on a USB key and not have to install it on all machines.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »
In fact SE was and is already portable. The important thing is the dedicated config directory you should specify with '-sc'. What else do you miss ?
Good luck, HS2

jej45

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 07:23:33 PM »
Yes, one could install on one machine and copy the resulting directories to the USB stick, however,  I was thinking of distributing the program via an archive (e.g. zip, tar, etc.), not an msi file.

jorick

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
That worked!  I had no idea I could do that.  Thanks!

xj97

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »
I've started using drive encryption at work on my portable drive which houses my dev files / slick projects.

I'm slowly getting better about it, but I often forget to unlock the drive before opening SE. Of course I get a 'workspace not found' error, and then a bunch of thing (not all) get reset. Projects/Defs/Symbols/Open are vertical along the left, and Search/Preview/Refs/Messages/Output are docked along the remainder of the bottom of the SE window. And the toolbar with icons is docked along the top. I don't like to have any of those in the main workspace area, but along other screens.

When I do unlock my drive & open one of my projects I have to take all those down.

I would love it if I didn't have to re-shuffle these everytime this happens.

Thanks
Baker