Author Topic: Project files working sets and/or savable sessions  (Read 1962 times)

Ethan

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Project files working sets and/or savable sessions
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »
Project files working sets.

IOW, being able to save the set of working files in a project (with a name, preferably) while I temporarily go work on another, higher priority bug. This would allow me to come back to the same context in this project when I'm finished with the "higher priority" bug.

This would also work well when your work flow is to have a separate repository clone for each bug, or even a different branch in one repository. You could suspend working on a bug while you change repositories or branches, work on that bug, then switch back and have your working files exactly as you left them.

BTW, SE works seems to work fine if you change a soft link underneath it, which is a good and useful thing. For example, I can change to a different repository clone (ie a git or mercurial repository) by just changing a fixed soft link, then switch back by just changing the soft link to point to the previous repository. This feature would be much more powerful if I could save the working set of files and their current append points and then restore them, as described above.

Wanderer

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
Re: Project files working sets and/or savable sessions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:07:57 PM »
Have a look at this thread and see if it might be useful:  http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4628.msg19076#msg19076

I don't think I have looked at the macros since I posted them, so you are on your own with that...

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »
Project files working sets.

IOW, being able to save the set of working files in a project (with a name, preferably) while I temporarily go work on another, higher priority bug. This would allow me to come back to the same context in this project when I'm finished with the "higher priority" bug.

This would also work well when your work flow is to have a separate repository clone for each bug, or even a different branch in one repository. You could suspend working on a bug while you change repositories or branches, work on that bug, then switch back and have your working files exactly as you left them.
Seems like you get that if you just have a workspace/project file per repository clone.  Just switch to a different workspace to work on a different task.  That's how I do it.

dunkers

• Hero Points: 36
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
Seems like you get that if you just have a workspace/project file per repository clone.

Problem with that is that it takes effort to set up - the various compiler switches, environment settings, etc. If one could click a button to clone a project to a different path then that would be simpler, but many times I've had support ask me about something with a customer on the phone and I've wanted to save what I'm working on now and flip to some other files.