Author Topic: Assembly Color Coding Messed up with .s file extension  (Read 5106 times)

Dswag89

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Assembly Color Coding Messed up with .s file extension
« on: April 24, 2007, 03:30:30 pm »
I have a problem with some of the color coding with SE12 (also saw it with SE11).  When I look at assembly files with a ".s" extension, the color coding is all messed up and there's a "hard line" at column 73 (See attached image se_screen.jpg).  When I rename to a ".asm" extension, it looks good (See attached image se_screen2.jpg).

I've tried to go through the "Tools... Options... File Extension Setup" menu to correct this, but have failed.  In the Extension Options dialog, my ".asm" file shows the Extension "masm" and the Lexer name "asm".  In this same dialog, my ".s" file shows the Extension asm390 (Refers to -> masm) and the Lexer name "asm".

The difference I see is the "Refers to" is active on this extension, but I don't know how that affects anything.  Another interesting bit is that I have "file extensions" set up for both "asm" and "s", but neither of them show up as the default in the "Extension" drop-down in this dialog.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?  If so, can you help?

Ding Zhaojie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 37
Re: Assembly Color Coding Messed up with .s file extension
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:23:33 am »
You should add a new extension "S" and refer it to unixasm (I saw your screenshot and I think that is unix asm style)

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 291
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:57:57 am »
... and there are also a couple of plattform/processor specific lexers associated to unixasm (e.g. Unix Assembler PPC,Unix Assembler Intel,... ).

HS2

Dswag89

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 01:41:44 pm »
Thanks folks!  Odd thing, I was going to post back indicating I had already created a .s format that I tried (and failed) to convert to the "masm" format.  I just came to the site (here) to re-read the responses and check out the settings.  When I saw Ding's screenshot (didn't notice it the first time), I opened it up and tried it.  SE told me I already had a ".s" extension so it wouldn't let me associate it with the unixasm.  However, I went ahead and opened a .s file to try to set it up again, and it was already fixed?!

Is there something with those file associations that may not update in SE12 until after you shut down the App and then bring it back up?  I know there's the "update" button, but that didn't seem to work when I was last playing with this.

Weird.