Author Topic: Improve the Smart Suggestions as Visual Assist  (Read 2335 times)

poppig

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Improve the Smart Suggestions as Visual Assist
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:30:04 AM »
I think SE should improve the Smart Suggestions as  Visual Assist.
VA can list the member name when I type the Character that included by the member name.

But SE only can list the member name When I type the Character by One after another.
If I type the Character from the middle of member name,SE can't recognize the member name or Parameter.

Michael Flad

• Community Member
Re: Improve the Smart Suggestions as Visual Assist
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:18:54 PM »
Abbreviations for the auto complete/intellisense feature.

I.e. create autocomplete suggestions based on a abbreviations - this can improve typing by a huge amount on big projects, especially when there are lots of names starting with the same letters.

F.i. if you have a lot of names like these

WINDOW_FLAG_CAPTION
WINODW_FLAG_SIZEABLE
WINDOW_FLAG_CLOSE_X

The typical autocomplete feature isn't that big an improvement because you have to type a lot before you get a good suggestion. But with the abbreviations you could write WFP, WFS, WFX instead which is much faster. In addition, this helps a lot if you search for a name, but don't know exactly what you're looking for, you just try a few abbreviations and see what the suggestions are.

This is a feature I got very used to while working in Visual Studio with the Visual Assist plugin, it's available in Sublime too.

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:43:15 PM »
Did you already try the sophisticated 'alias' feature of SE ? They are also included by autocomplete.
(Maybe these cool abbreviations were invented by Clark long time ago .. dunno ;)
HS2

Michael Flad

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »
Did you already try the sophisticated 'alias' feature of SE ? They are also included by autocomplete.
(Maybe these cool abbreviations were invented by Clark long time ago .. dunno ;)
HS2

As far as I understand it, the alias feature is only a kind of easy way to access a predefined list of snippets/templates (correct me if I'm wrong) - used them quite a lot while coding in Multiedit for Dos (don't know if Slickedit had them before Multiedit). But what I'm talking about is just a more sophisticated system to find matches in the list of symbols used for the autocomplete system without any manual work required.

The system I'm talking about would suggest the same (WINDOW_FLAG_CLOSE_X) when I type WFX as well as WFLX, WFCX, WINX, WCL, even CLX or any other good enough abbreviation to find a best match. If there's no single best match, just show a dropdown list of the candidates, as usual.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:04:30 PM by Michael Flad »

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
@Michael Flad: Ok - I see. This is indeed very useful. I'd be happy if just the leading chars could be omitted/wildcarded..
I'm using a similar, simpler approach here. But the proposal to use the sub-word start chars as pattern is nice.
HS2