Author Topic: Support for visual studio express/pro/team editions  (Read 3467 times)

jej45

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Support for visual studio express/pro/team editions
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
support for visual studio express editions in addition to the professional and team editions

DavidA

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Support for visual studio express/pro/team editions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »
I would like to see:

Highest priority:

1) Support Visual Studio/Visual C++ Express compiler/build invocation without having to run vsvars32.bat and starting SlickEdit from a command window (this is very user unfriendly)
2) Support Visual C++ Express 2008 properly (call vcexpress.exe instead of devenv.exe in the tool commands)
3) Fix bug in svn implementation whereby 'modified' icons are not refreshed properly

Medium priority:
1) Add close button (a cross) on each buffer/file tab
2) Add ability to create a workspace automatically from a subversion working copy
3) To select a column of text which can be indented by typing new text, the column should be a vertical line not a one character wide line.

lambertia

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:17:35 PM »
I would like to see:

Highest priority:

1) Support Visual Studio/Visual C++ Express compiler/build invocation without having to run vsvars32.bat and starting SlickEdit from a command window (this is very user unfriendly)
lect a column of text which can be indented by typing new text, the column should be a vertical line not a one character wide line.

Have you tried putting the environment settings from vsvars.bat into your user environment in the control panel? This way it will always be set and you won't have to do the command window thing. You may have to re login for the new settings to take effect.

DavidA

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
Have you tried putting the environment settings from vsvars.bat into your user environment in the control panel? This way it will always be set and you won't have to do the command window thing. You may have to re login for the new settings to take effect.

Yes, I know that is one way of doing it.  But vsvars32.bat is a complex file and sets lots of environment variables.  It's a pain for all our developers to have to do this, and is hard to maintain when upgrading to a new Visual Studio version.

DavidA

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
Hi
I would like to see support for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 projects ( for both Express and Professional editions of the product ).

BR

David

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Hi
I would like to see support for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 projects ( for both Express and Professional editions of the product ).

BR

David
V16 supports both of these. Is there something specific you are looking for?

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:55:36 AM »
Full support for Visual Studio Config/Platform combinations as noted in http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,6565.msg27486.html#msg27486 and http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,7249.msg30927.html#msg30927.  The solution can contain wrapper configs that are named differently than the configs in the active project.  Would be nice if SE could build that properly.

davea

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
Please add F1 help integration with the current Visual Studio 2010 Help system.

I found the MSDN Help integration to be quite useful, but alas...this feature is not compatible with the new MS help system.  :(

MichaelBate

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
Visual Studio projects and Environment Variables

Visual Studio project files may include an environment variable reference in the path name of a file.

An example: $(VAR)\filename.cpp

SlickEdit does not interpret this correctly, instead the name is treated as:

project\sourceDir\($VAR)\filename.cpp

If I try to open this file by clicking on it in the list of files for the project, SlickEdit says it cannot find the file.

I consider this to be a bug that needs to be fixed.

PurdueEEGrad

• Hero Points: -17
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
I have been testing the SE V19 RC5 version (pretty much the final release) -
relative to Visual Studio 2013 compatibility.

SE V19 loads and plays Visual Studio solutions (workspace) well.

One thing I wanted to do was to save the Visual Studio *.sln (workspace) - as a Slickedit *.vpw (workspace). It turns out that SE V19 replicates and creates a *.vpw file - when loading a Visual Studio *.sln file.

The problem on opening the newly generated *.vpw (workspace) - is that it is tightly coupled to the *.sln file (must be in the same directory). Also - you can not add any projects to the newly generated *.vpw file (which makes sense given the tightly coupled synchronous nature of the two workspaces and products).

It would be nice to save the newly generated *.vpw (workspace) in;

[1] Another directory
[2] As a standard Slickedit Workspace (*.vpw)

The use case intent - is to replicate a Visual Studio solution - as a Slickedit workspace.
This saves tons of time - since I just use Visual Studio to - debug and help build everything.

What I need (in addition) - is the ability to add other projects - that are NOT going to be using
Visual Studio (documentation projects, code generation projects, code metric generation, etc).

In addition to this (as in ... it would be nice). I would like to create new projects in Slickedit - that
can just replicate the same build/environment parameters - of existing projects in the Slickedit
workspace (that were originally spawned from a Visual Studio 2013 solution).

Round trip synchronization of the newly spawned workspace clone - is NOT necessary : Since the new
workspace moves into software engineering dimensions - outside the scope of Visual Studio (ie; stuff
not made by Microsoft).

Most of the code bases in this Slickedit Customer use case - are reference code (not production code) - where you download
some code for a new technology - from MSDN or www.codeproject.com - and then need to build on that
foundation - to develop some initial code samples - for incorporating new technology and new ideas - into
the main line corporate code base (for some client, etc).

Slickedit V19 integration with Visual Studio 2013 is currently excellent. These additional capabilities - would
fast track the ability to absorb new technology code (samples, demos, etc) - and transform it into production code usable
samples - for the native software development teams (for some client).

I have attached some screenshots - showing the SE V19 RC5 limitations - relative to this feature request. The error message comes from a cloned solution -> SE workspace : when its moved to some other directory (where the original *.sln file no longer exists)>