Author Topic: Easy way to create a new project based on current project.  (Read 1789 times)

Ethan

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
An easy way to create a new project based on current project.

My current workflow consists of a lot of switching tasks to work on a new bug, then coming back to the current bug.
It would be nice to be able to say either "Save current state (windows, files open, etc) to state 'n'" and start editing on Bug #2, and then later "Restore to state n" to return to work on bug #1.

Projects would work, but the project setup really, really wants me to 'create' a new project, and is unfriendly towards just saving this project's state and starting a new project based on the current project.

(If there is already an easy way to do this, please let me know!)

timur

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Re: Easy way to create a new project based on current project.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
An easy way to create a new project based on current project.

My current workflow consists of a lot of switching tasks to work on a new bug, then coming back to the current bug.
It would be nice to be able to say either "Save current state (windows, files open, etc) to state 'n'" and start editing on Bug #2, and then later "Restore to state n" to return to work on bug #1.

Projects would work, but the project setup really, really wants me to 'create' a new project, and is unfriendly towards just saving this project's state and starting a new project based on the current project.

(If there is already an easy way to do this, please let me know!)

I use a Bash script to create a workspace and project file from any directory.  It uses the Unix 'find' command to scan for all source files and adds then create a .vpj file.  I've attached the script:

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Easy way to create a new project based on current project.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
@Ethan:
Since these things are stored (if configured) on a per-workspace basis I do this:
I create a clone of a main development workspace (copy+rename the workspace <file>.vpw).
Then (permanently) add it to the workspace collection and use for quick bug fixing etc. Maybe remove it later.
I'm using 'workspace-organize' bound to shortcut to quickly switch between my workspaces.

HS2