Author Topic: Symbol browser enhancement requests  (Read 1918 times)

BenShafer

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Symbol browser enhancement requests
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:37:32 PM »
I've been regularly using SlickEdit for over 15 years now. I've really enjoyed the improvements along the way, and I still frequently learn new things about SlickEdit that make coding faster and easier. However, there are a few new features I would like (or maybe I just don't know how to configure it to do them).

1. In the Symbol Browser dock window, when I leave the "Class" field empty and add text to the "Member" field, SlickEdit currently lists all the classes in the workspace, but when I plus them out, they say "...EMPTY." Instead, all EMPTY items should be removed from the tree view.

2. I wish the Symbol Browser could be configured to always open the "Classes" top-level item when I load a new project.

2. I would like to right click on a class name in the code and have an option to see "Derived Classes..." or "Base Classes..." Currently, I can get to the derived classes, but it's convoluted. I have to first click the "Show all tags" checkbox in the symbol browser, then right click on the class name in the code editor and select "Show <className> in Symbol Browser," then right click on the class in the symbol browser and select "Derived Classes..."

3. The context menu "Show <className> in Symbol Browser" should remove the filters on the symbol browser if the class is currently being filtered out.

4. Is it possible to assign two commands to a single event in the key bindings? I set up a Ctrl+LButtonDn to select the word that I click on. This allows for quick replacing of variables (hold down Ctrl for the whole "LeftClick, C, LeftClick, V" sequence, just like in Visual Studio). However, what I would really like is to make Ctrl+LButtonDn do the selection and the copy, and then use Ctrl+RButtonDn to replace the word I clicked on with whatever is on the clipboard. That way, I can just hold down Ctrl and "LeftClick, RightClick" to replace variables (I could also rename, but when there are only three or four of them, it's easier to use the mouse).

Thanks,
Ben

MartyL

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 29
  • Synergex
Re: Symbol browser enhancement requests
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:22:20 PM »
4. Is it possible to assign two commands to a single event in the key bindings? I set up a Ctrl+LButtonDn to select the word that I click on. This allows for quick replacing of variables (hold down Ctrl for the whole "LeftClick, C, LeftClick, V" sequence, just like in Visual Studio). However, what I would really like is to make Ctrl+LButtonDn do the selection and the copy, and then use Ctrl+RButtonDn to replace the word I clicked on with whatever is on the clipboard. That way, I can just hold down Ctrl and "LeftClick, RightClick" to replace variables (I could also rename, but when there are only three or four of them, it's easier to use the mouse).

Hi Ben,

I think the answer to this question is no, but you could certainly write a quick macro that performs both functions and bind that instead.

For example:
Code: [Select]
#include "slick.sh"

_command void CustomLeftClick() name_info(','VSARG2_REQUIRES_EDITORCTL)
{
    mou_select_word();
    mou_click_copy();
}

_command void CustomRightClick() name_info(','VSARG2_REQUIRES_EDITORCTL)
{
    mou_select_word();
    paste();
}

Load the macro file, bind c-lbutton-down to CustomLeftClick and bind c-rbutton-down to CustomRightClick. Should do exactly what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!
Marty