Author Topic: More powerful soft wrap support.  (Read 2760 times)

ZorbaTHut

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
More powerful soft wrap support.
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »
I'd love slightly more powerful soft wrap support. Look at the attached screenshot from Scite. See how easy it is to identify the wordwrapping? Scite's wordwrapping respects indents, so no matter how wrapped the text gets, it's always readable.

I would deeply like that feature to exist in Slickedit. :)

To make it even better than Scite's, add a configurable further indent. Scite indents wrapped text by one extra indent layer - personally, I want it indented by two indents.

I'd also love the option to add wrap arrows on the left side of the wrap as well as the right, also shown in this screenshot.

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: More powerful soft wrap support.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
I'd love slightly more powerful soft wrap support. ... respects indents, so no matter how wrapped the text gets, it's always readable.
+1  To me, for soft wrapping to make sense in a programmer's editor it needs to respect indent (with configurable hanging indent).  I'd actually use soft wrapping if it respected indent.

chuck97224

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
+1 for me too.  Definitely would make word-wrapped code more readable.

jnairb

• Hero Points: 11
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »
When softwrap is enabled, it would be nice if SlickEdit could wrap lines with indent of wrapped lines similar to code formatting. For example, today I see this:
Code: [Select]
        // This is a long and wordy comment with a lot to say that is much longer    *
than the window width, so to see it all I either need to scroll left and right repeatedly    *
or turn on softwrap. After turnning on softwrap, the wrapped lines wrap to column 1 rather   *
than following the indent of the start of the line.
        longFunctionName((uint64)with, (uint64)several_long, parameters, (uint64)    *
which_also, wraps_with, softwrap_enabled, but_wraps_to_line_1);
(* represents softwrap indicator at right margin of window)

When I'd rather automatically see something like:

Code: [Select]
        // This is a long and wordy comment with a lot to say that is much longer    *
           than the window width, so to see it all I either need to scroll left and  *
           right repeatedly or turn on softwrap. After turnning on softwrap, the     *
           wrapped lines wrap to column 1 rather than following the indent of the    *
           start of the line.
        longFunctionName((uint64)with, (uint64)several_long, parameters,             *
                         (uint64) which_also, wraps_with, softwrap_enabled,          *
                         but_wraps_to_line_1);

I don't control and can't change the existing code.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 02:09:32 AM »
Doing indenting like the enter key would be too slow. A choice of no indent or a fixed indent (like 0 or 4 etc) would probably work.

jnairb

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 03:01:16 AM »
I'm not sure if a fixed indent would help with readability of the code or not, so maybe adding a new option for this isn't worth the trouble. Too bad that "nice" formatting isn't easier.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »
By fixed indent I meant fixed relative indent to first non-blank

jnairb

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »
By fixed indent I meant fixed relative indent to first non-blank
OK, I think a fixed, relative indent would be helpful, if that could be added.