Author Topic: UNC (network) Path in the Smart Open dialog  (Read 616 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 105
UNC (network) Path in the Smart Open dialog
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »
In the "Smart Open" dialog, in Windows I'd like to be able to open a UNC path to a filesystem on the network.

For example, I have a machine called 'ubuntu' on my home network, and in Windows Explorer (and also Open dialog of SE), I can enter "\\ubuntu\rob" to see my home directory on Ubuntu.  But if I type '\\ubuntu\rob' into the smart open edit box, I get the error message:

'"\\ubuntu\" is not a valid path or access has been denied.'

Thanks,
Rob

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 383
Re: UNC (network) Path in the Smart Open dialog
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:57:39 pm »
In the "Smart Open" dialog, in Windows I'd like to be able to open a UNC path to a filesystem on the network.

For example, I have a machine called 'ubuntu' on my home network, and in Windows Explorer (and also Open dialog of SE), I can enter "\\ubuntu\rob" to see my home directory on Ubuntu.  But if I type '\\ubuntu\rob' into the smart open edit box, I get the error message:

'"\\ubuntu\" is not a valid path or access has been denied.'

Thanks,
Rob

You need a trailing backslash "\\ubuntu\rob\"

rowbearto

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:30:42 am »
Clark:

Thanks for your reply about the trailing backslash on \\ubuntu\rob\.  I did not see the reply until you pointed me here from the other thread.  This is very useful information to know.

I think it would be useful if the trailing backslash was not required.  It is not intuitive (I did not figure that out on my own), and is 1 extra keystroke.  Its a minor request, but I think it could be helpful.

Thanks,
Rob

rowbearto

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:16 pm »
Another idea for the UNC paths not requiring to have the trailing \  ( \\ubuntu\rob vs. \\ubuntu\rob\ )

Ideally it would be great if trailing \ was not required.

But if that is difficult to do, perhaps you can add a hint in the error message that by adding a \, one will be able.

For many years of usage I was not aware that this was possible by adding the trailing \.  If you added some information into the error message to direct the user to add the trailing \, it would be helpful.

But not requiring the trailing \ would be ideal.