Author Topic: Remember minimized state of windows  (Read 1891 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Remember minimized state of windows
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:44 PM »
I can have many dozens of files open at one time with quite a few of them minimized.  But if I minimize the SlickEdit window then restore it again,  all the windows that were minimized will open up.  If 80 files are open and 70 were minimized, I have to manually minimize the windows which can take some time.

It would be nice if SE would remember the child window state and restore that state when the SE window is displayed again.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: Remember minimized state of windows
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »
I can have many dozens of files open at one time with quite a few of them minimized.  But if I minimize the SlickEdit window then restore it again,  all the windows that were minimized will open up.  If 80 files are open and 70 were minimized, I have to manually minimize the windows which can take some time.

It would be nice if SE would remember the child window state and restore that state when the SE window is displayed again.

Hopefully slickedit can fix this.

If you're using Windows You could try running  a window manager like dexpot and have slickedit on a desktop of its own so you never have to minimize it - or instead of minimizing it, temporarily switch it to another desktop.
http://dexpot.de/?lang=en

Also you might find a macro I wrote useful
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,9389.0.html
It has commands xsave_session and xrestore_session that save/restore the min/max state of windows.  There are also macro commands iconize_mdi and restore_mdi provided by slickedit but I guess you want to be able to use the minimize button on the window title bar rather than a macro.

jorick

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
I work with many files open at a time, sometimes up to 50 at once.  Usually some files are open in windows where they are the only file in the window, some files are open in a window with other files in tabs, some files are minimized, and some files are tabbed in the editor window themselves.

Trying to find a file is a nightmare sometimes.  If I open a file a la double click in Explorer, sometimes the file won't come up.  It will open in the editor window (which is almost always covered) rather than in its own window.  And the file I was working on will stay highlighted (sometimes).  If the file is already opened but minimized, the file will stay minimized and sometimes not get highlighted and brought forward under the current window.  And on and on...

It would be so nice to have a setting where if I open a file, it would put it in its own window in front of all other windows.  If the file is already open but minimized, un-minimize it and bring it to the front.  If it's in the editor window, move it to it's own window and bring it to the front.  In short, if I want a file, I want it displayed up front where I can see it.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »
I work with many files open at a time, sometimes up to 50 at once.  Usually some files are open in windows where they are the only file in the window, some files are open in a window with other files in tabs, some files are minimized, and some files are tabbed in the editor window themselves.

Trying to find a file is a nightmare sometimes.  If I open a file a la double click in Explorer, sometimes the file won't come up.  It will open in the editor window (which is almost always covered) rather than in its own window.  And the file I was working on will stay highlighted (sometimes).  If the file is already opened but minimized, the file will stay minimized and sometimes not get highlighted and brought forward under the current window.  And on and on...

It would be so nice to have a setting where if I open a file, it would put it in its own window in front of all other windows.  If the file is already open but minimized, un-minimize it and bring it to the front.  If it's in the editor window, move it to it's own window and bring it to the front.  In short, if I want a file, I want it displayed up front where I can see it.

This is not working right. If the floating window group is minimized, it should be restored. We simply missed this test case. On windows, there is also a problem with which window group gets activated. We need to activate the Window group which contains the file that was activated. There's definitely a problem with the C code on windows for this part. It doesn't look like Mac and Unix have this problem but they all have the minimize/restore issue. I've fixed windows for v19 and will test mac and Unix and make sure they work as well.

There isn't any kind of option to open windows in their own window group yet. It's something we've thought about doing though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:16:46 AM by Clark »