Author Topic: Workspace file name shown twice in project menu  (Read 2004 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Workspace file name shown twice in project menu
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:36 PM »
The Project & All Workspaces menus show the .vpw\.sln name twice, once at the start of the entry (which I like) and once at the end of the abbreviated path name. However, when branching projects in StarTeam there will a .vpw\.sln file with the same name in a different directory. We do this a lot for maintenance fixes and derivative products. So, I end up seeing the same .vpw listed several times and NOT ENOUGH path information to discern which branch it belongs to. Further, the All Workspaces dialog, which could be as big as it wants\needs to be, stays with this same abbreviated format.

I would be nice if I could sort the menu by .vpw name which would group those with the same name together and then either pop-up tool tip the path information or have the dialog expand to show the path information. I sure that all the GUI experts out there could come up with some cool way to make this available without making the menu drop-down itself 6 inches wide at all time. Although, I will take the wide menu over the guessing game that I have now.

The same thought process should go into any menu, grid-box, etc. where the data cannot fit. I have attached 2 screenshots that show an example of this issue. One is the Project menu, the other is the File Types entry in Find and Replace.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: Workspace file name shown twice in project menu
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »
The Project & All Workspaces menus show the .vpw\.sln name twice, once at the start of the entry (which I like) and once at the end of the abbreviated path name. However, when branching projects in StarTeam there will a .vpw\.sln file with the same name in a different directory. We do this a lot for maintenance fixes and derivative products. So, I end up seeing the same .vpw listed several times and NOT ENOUGH path information to discern which branch it belongs to. Further, the All Workspaces dialog, which could be as big as it wants\needs to be, stays with this same abbreviated format.

I would be nice if I could sort the menu by .vpw name which would group those with the same name together and then either pop-up tool tip the path information or have the dialog expand to show the path information. I sure that all the GUI experts out there could come up with some cool way to make this available without making the menu drop-down itself 6 inches wide at all time. Although, I will take the wide menu over the guessing game that I have now.

The same thought process should go into any menu, grid-box, etc. where the data cannot fit. I have attached 2 screenshots that show an example of this issue. One is the Project menu, the other is the File Types entry in Find and Replace.

In slick V16.0.3 when you hover the mouse over a a vpw entry in the projects menu you should see the full pathname shown on the status bar.  If I click the "organize all workspaces" item in the projects menu I don't see what you're seeing.  There's no "double" name, there's no abbreviated pathname and the dialog is sizeable and remembers its size across sessions.  Which "all workspaces" dialog are you referring to?

JimmieC

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »
In slick V16.0.3 when you hover the mouse over a a vpw entry in the projects menu you should see the full pathname shown on the status bar.  If I click the "organize all workspaces" item in the projects menu I don't see what you're seeing.  There's no "double" name, there's no abbreviated pathname and the dialog is sizeable and remembers its size across sessions.  Which "all workspaces" dialog are you referring to?

I am using:
SlickEdit 2011 (v16.0.3.0 64-bit)
hotfixes\hotfix_se1603_12_cumulative.zip (Revision: 12)
OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Project Type: Cpp
Language: .c (C/C++)

I do not get the tool-tip on hover for workspaces, maybe it's a setting?

See that attached screen shots for All Workspaces.

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:11:08 AM »

I do not get the tool-tip on hover for workspaces, maybe it's a setting?

See that attached screen shots for All Workspaces.

I didn't say it was a tooltip - I said it was shown on the status bar.

In your first post you said
Further, the All Workspaces dialog, which could be as big as it wants\needs to be
whereas the image you have now posted is for a submenu, not a dialog.
Try "organize all workspaces" - it actually is a dialog and it can indeed be as big as it needs to be.
You could bind a key to the workspace_organize command.

JimmieC

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:05 AM »
I didn't say it was a tooltip - I said it was shown on the status bar.
Good point. I guess I read it too fast. Too much going on. That may be good enough. I will try to get used to it. Of course, if you have a lot of entries, it is a bit of looking up\down on screen. It would be nice to be able to sort the menu by project name though so projects with the same name will be grouped together.

whereas the image you have now posted is for a submenu, not a dialog.

True, but I did not say "Organize All Workspaces" dialog either. So, I guess either way you look at it, it is a flawed statement therefore unable to draw any conclusion as to what I was actually referring to. The description doesn't match the dialog or the submenu in question. Luckily, the screen shot clears that up. Hey, what can I say, a vocabulary mistake may get out occasionally;-)

I did look at the "Organize All Workspaces" dialog yesterday based on your reply. I will try working with it. It is not as convenient but I don't change projects all the time either. It definitely is size (and re-sizable) for full path information.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:14:55 AM by JimmieC »

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:21 AM »
I did look at the "Organize All Workspaces" dialog yesterday based on your reply. I will try working with it. It is not as convenient but I don't change projects all the time either. It definitely is size (and re-sizable) for full path information.
From looking at the code that builds the menu I found there's a def-var you can change to alter the max length of a filename before size reduction occurs  - def_max_fhlen.
Default is 40.  If you want to change, type set-var on the slick cmd line (or use "set macro variable" in the macro menu) - then enter def_max_fhlen and increase the number to whatever you want.  You might need to close and restart slick to see it change.