Author Topic: A better way to manage "File Types" for the Find & Search dialogs.  (Read 2159 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
A better way to manage "File Types" for the Find & Search dialogs.

When I am working in TI C\C++, I need to search c,cpp,h,asm,s28,h28,cmd,tcf,map.
But, I don't need to search all of them all of the time. So, I have c,cpp,h or c,cpp,h,map, etc.

When working in VS MFC, I need to search c,cpp,h,rc but again in different mixes.

The web guys need to search html, xml, java, etc.

The VB folks need to search .frm. And so on...

Currently, the drop-down is just a long list of everything ever entered. And, there is no way to easily clean out a single entry. See my earlier post for deleting single lines from MRU lists. Maddening.

Anyway, what is needed is groups of file type lists that can belong to various project types. Further, it should still allow the user to enter additional file type mixes that weren't in the group as additional entries listing them as temp mixes. Then the user should be able to right-click on the temp entry and select Add To Search Group (or something like that).

Perhaps, when a group is made, it is a master list of file extensions for that project type. Then to make new sub-groups (file extension mixes with a group, say C files with TI C2000) it could bring up a dialog with check boxes next to each file type. The user selects and gives it a name. If the user just wants a quick temporary mix, have a check box for temp mix.

Of course, removing entries should not require going through the Options menu. Just right-click on an entry and delete it (or something like that).

mwb1100

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
Re: A better way to manage "File Types" for the Find & Search dialogs.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:18:38 PM »
Of course, removing entries should not require going through the Options menu. Just right-click on an entry and delete it (or something like that).

Click on the "..." next to the "File types:" edit box and it brings up a Filter Editor dialog that allows you to easily add/remove/reorder the file type filter list.  I honestly don't know if this modifies a global setting or if it's scoped to the project.

I'm not sure that a whole lot more flexibility/complexity needs to be added, but then again I usually select one of a couple filters - C-related files or everything.