Author Topic: Ability to toggle file R\W status within SE.  (Read 2133 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Ability to toggle file R\W status within SE.
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:47:46 PM »
Ability to toggle file R\W status within SE. There is currently a Read-Only mode in SE but looking at the help file, this seems to be protection for the edit buffer, not the file status itself. As a lesser used feature, it would be best placed in the File Menu only (see Boxer for reference), not the context menu for the tabs, Project pane, or Files pane.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: Ability to toggle file R\W status within SE.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 05:26:29 AM »
Ability to toggle file R\W status within SE. There is currently a Read-Only mode in SE but looking at the help file, this seems to be protection for the edit buffer, not the file status itself. As a lesser used feature, it would be best placed in the File Menu only (see Boxer for reference), not the context menu for the tabs, Project pane, or Files pane.
Click on the R/W R/O thing in the status bar towards the right hand side.

JimmieC

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »
Click on the R/W R/O thing in the status bar towards the right hand side.

Thanks Graeme, that will do it.

I actually searched the Help Index for "read only" (without the quotes) before posting. I did not see toggle read only or change file read only status or anything like that. There are several entries about the read only mode. After getting your answer, I went back to the Help file search results and found "Read Only Indicator". In the help page for that it uses the term "Permission Toggle" which is probably more accurate and encompassing. However, the help index should probably include something akin to "toggle read only", "read only file permissions", etc. The most likely file permission change for an editor will be "read only" and that is likely what the user will search for; At least users like me which might be the minority ;-).

davehohl

• Hero Points: 27
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »

In the status bar area in the lower right corner there is an indication of file status -- RO or RW. Click on that and you will be asked if you want to change the status.