Author Topic: Leave beautifier work for most languages to 3rd party tools.  (Read 1624 times)

flethuseo

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Leave beautifier work for most languages to 3rd party tools.
« on: April 29, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »
I think SlickEdit should leave beautifier work for most languages to 3rd party tools. It's not that hard to find one for free and one can create a command in slick-edit to use a 3rd party beautifier. I also agree with a previous comment regarding focusing on bread-and-butter operations that can apply to multiple languages.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:10:33 AM by flethuseo »

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Re: Leave beautifier work for most languages to 3rd party tools.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »
>> I think SlickEdit should leave beautifier work for most languages to 3rd party tools.
>> ...agree with a previous comment regarding focusing on bread-and-butter operations...

I have not read the thread with that comment but it is an interesting thought.

Do I like that SE has code beautifier built-in, yes. I have used it when I inherited 4 or 5 projects from a former programmer (who was insane) and did not believe in indentation. All code was in column 1! Further, others have requested batch processing of the beautifier (going back to 2008 or so) but because SE did not support that, I had to go file-by-file on those projects. Batch would have been nice!

All that said, I have probably suggested 30+ changes, improvements, etc. that would be useful to me. Editing tasks that can be used more often than a beautifier and GUI changes that would appeal to me, and possibly others. Would I trade the beautifier capability for those 30+ suggestions? I think I would, yes.

Of course, I can be greedy and would rather have the whole enchilada!