Author Topic: Scroll bar overview, aka minimap  (Read 8797 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Scroll bar overview, aka minimap
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
One last pre-version pleading, minimap support is another long-promised feature that most other programmer editors support now, and which would be very welcome in SE!
How many editors do you know that support it?
Can you describe how you use it and why you like it?

mwb1100

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »
How many editors do you know that support it?
Can you describe how you use it and why you like it?

I'm not jwiede, but here are my answer to those questions:

Visual Stdio 2015 (and later), Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, and UltraEdit.  I'm sure there are others - it seems to be a feature that has taken hold in the text editor market.  People seem to like it.

Personally, it's mostly just eye candy for me, but occasionally the image of the text in a file can actually give a visual cue to where something is.  So I personally don't find it a need-to-have, but I could see where some people might.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 07:32:07 AM »
I see KDevelop and komodo also have it.  I actually wrote a kind of minimap for slickedit but I haven't posted it as I'm not sure it's useful.  I might post it if it doesn't come along in V23.  It's not able to show any shrunken text like other minimaps though but it does show where code has been modified and it has local bookmarks.  The minimap in ultraedit here is only showing a small part of the file
https://www.ultraedit.com/products/ultraedit/ultraedit-feature-map/

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:41:20 AM by Graeme »

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 03:33:19 PM »
It isn't really compatible with some Slick features - like editing really large files.
VSCode for instance supports it, but VSCode is also limited to small files (I don't know the limit).

Slick tries to seamlessly edit both small and extremely large files - both a good and bad thing.
Being able to edit just about any file is great, but this also makes it a lot harder for Slick to implement new features - and some features just won't work with really large files.