Author Topic: Scroll bar overview, aka minimap  (Read 8568 times)

Bamsen

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Scroll bar overview, aka minimap
« on: June 27, 2016, 06:40:41 AM »
When lines are colored as changed, this should be reflected in the scroll bar. Same as search does in Chrome.
When i do a search and replace on a large file, this would be an easy way to verify where changes were made.
---
Morten A. Steien

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Scroll bar overview, aka minimap
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:51:08 AM »
When lines are colored as changed, this should be reflected in the scroll bar. Same as search does in Chrome.
When i do a search and replace on a large file, this would be an easy way to verify where changes were made.
---
Morten A. Steien

In the find and replace dialog, turn on "list replaced matches" and you'll get a list of lines that got changed that you can easily step through.  Turn on "highlight replaced text" to highlight the changes in the edit window.  Backup history also lets you easily diff the before and after code and step through the changes - save your code before and after then bring up backup history and double click the second item.

Bamsen

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »
---
Morten A. Steien

In the find and replace dialog, turn on "list replaced matches" and you'll get a list of lines that got changed that you can easily step through.  Turn on "highlight replaced text" to highlight the changes in the edit window.  Backup history also lets you easily diff the before and after code and step through the changes - save your code before and after then bring up backup history and double click the second item.

All good and informative but none as quick and intuitive as having colored lines reflected in the scroll bar. :)

jwiede

• Hero Points: 12
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:23:43 PM »
Is there work underway (or planned) to give SE a "scroll-bar code overview" as is now available in VS2015, Komodo, Ultraedit, etc. where the scroll bar itself is a micro-ptsize-rendered version of the code, to make it easier to garner an overview of the file structure, identify section/function breaks, etc.? 

If the functionality is already present, my apologies (and please provide a pointer how to enable?).  Before posting, I looked for the feature in current SE, but if present I couldn't find how to enable it.

If not present or planned already, can we please get such functionality added?  I use it all the time in VS2015, and really miss it in SE.

P.S. The feature in VS2015 is called "map mode".  For C/C++ (f.e.) the setting is in Tools->Options... (to get Options dialog), then "Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Scroll Bars -> Behavior -> 'use map mode'".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:29:40 PM by jwiede »

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:13:08 PM »
You can badly fake it: Split you window and set the font size really small on the new pane.
I've seen people use this in other editors, but I'm not sure its really all that useful compared to the "defs" window in Slick.

jwiede

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:31:42 PM »
I've seen people use this in other editors, but I'm not sure its really all that useful compared to the "defs" window in Slick.

I'd prefer the real thing, thanks.  As for benefit, anyone dealing with legacy code that has overly-long functions/methods/modules/etc. can benefit because it allows to see sub-function-level structure as well (in being able to see indentation overview etc. as well).  I'm not saying it should be mandatory, or even default, but I would definitely appreciate it as an option.

jorick

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
I second the motion made by jwiede!  I think this would be an excellent option!  And in addition, colorize the microline that contains an error after compiling.

One other thing, it would be nice to have multiple colors for error highlighting.  Red for errors, yellow for warnings, etc.  User configurable, of course.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
Is there work underway (or planned) to give SE a "scroll-bar code overview" as is now available in VS2015, Komodo, Ultraedit, etc. where the scroll bar itself is a micro-ptsize-rendered version of the code, to make it easier to garner an overview of the file structure, identify section/function breaks, etc.? 

If the functionality is already present, my apologies (and please provide a pointer how to enable?).  Before posting, I looked for the feature in current SE, but if present I couldn't find how to enable it.

If not present or planned already, can we please get such functionality added?  I use it all the time in VS2015, and really miss it in SE.

P.S. The feature in VS2015 is called "map mode".  For C/C++ (f.e.) the setting is in Tools->Options... (to get Options dialog), then "Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Scroll Bars -> Behavior -> 'use map mode'".

We are looking into this for a future release.  It will not make 2016, but hopefully 2017.  As always, we're very concerned about performance so it has to "be done right ". ;)

jwiede

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:33:15 AM »

We are looking into this for a future release.  It will not make 2016, but hopefully 2017.  As always, we're very concerned about performance so it has to "be done right ". ;)

Any chance we'll see this make it into V22?

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
WRT Performance: I do think that Slick's obsession with performance does sometimes get in the way of new or better features.

Not necessarily a bad thing --- I certainly appreciate the attention to performance as I often edit really large files that most other editors would completely fail on.

OTOH, I'd imagine that most developers don't do that -- as most developers don't use Slick - so they get by with editors that have really bad performance on extreme files.
Some of these editors have newer, shinier features - like the minimap or vertical indenting lines - that we would really like to see in Slick.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 12:34:54 PM »
Considering that you can't actually read anything in the mini-map "scrollbar", a mini-map in Slick could be done with a macro using an image control which allows you to detect cursor movement and mouse clicks.  It could have a mode that allowed you to scroll the actual edit window without having to hold down a mouse button.  I wonder if you can detect the scroll-lock key in slick.  It could also be a re-sizable floating tool-window with a "horizontal" mode.

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »
You can already sort-of fake it by opening a 2nd window on a buffer and set the font size really small.

jwiede

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 01:21:50 AM »
With all due respect they told us they're already intending to do this, they just weren't sure when (see above post by Dan).  All I'm asking, given that they're finalizing V22, is a clear indication whether this made it into v22 (2017), and if not, can we get a solid commitment it will be added in v23 (expecting us to wait longer for this level of feature isn't reasonable, IMO).

gfinlay

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 11:45:12 PM »
You can already sort-of fake it by opening a 2nd window on a buffer and set the font size really small.
This is true from the appearance standpoint. But what is needed is to synchronize the scrolling of a minimap window with the normal size window open on the same buffer.  This way you could use scrolling (via dragging the selection rectangle with a mouse in the minimap to control how the linked/synchronized normal buffer is positioned.

jwiede

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 03:50:34 AM »
One last pre-version pleading, minimap support is another long-promised feature that most other programmer editors support now, and which would be very welcome in SE!