Author Topic: SE 21.0.1 does not respect a changed HOME environment variable  (Read 3271 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
SE 21.0.1 does not respect a changed HOME environment variable
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »
Hi:

In order to speedup working in a worldwide Linux NIS domain (where my home directory is in the United States, but I log into a machine in Poland), I change my HOME environment variable to a location on the local hard disk, then launch SE:

export HOME=/localharddisk/robslocalhome
<launch SE>

Most programs respect this and will use my new "HOME" for storing files, except SE is not respecting this. When I launch SE, it seems to revert the value of HOME to my directory that is on the other side of the planet, slowing things down tremendously.

So this forces me to use "-sc" and point to a local dir. Also, when I start the process buffer and do "echo $HOME", it sees HOME set to my far away HOME instead of the local HOME.

Finally, when I am in the "Smart Open" dialog, and I enter "~" to go to my home directory, it is going to the far away HOME instead of to the local HOME that I changed it to before launching SE.

The workaround for using -sc pointing to a local config makes it fast enough for now, but I think it would be ideal if all of SE would use the changed HOME value that I set it to before launching SE. Can this be done somehow?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:40:35 PM by rowbearto »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: SE 21.0.1 does not respect a changed HOME environment variable
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:15:08 PM »
Interesting, it still has the old $HOME setting.  I didn't know we could even do that.  We'll look into this.

rowbearto

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 02:39:29 PM »
Thanks for taking a look!

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:41:43 PM »
Do you know if older versions behaved this way? If you don't that's fine, we'll check it out, but if you know for sure that older versions were different, it would be a starting place.

rowbearto

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
I don't know if older versions behaved this way, I just started playing around with this recently. Sorry about that.

This also seems to happen during installation as well, when I run ./vsinst, it gets very slow at the time it is creating/checking the configuration, using my old HOME on the other side of the globe instead of the new HOME.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
Patrick did some snooping.  It looks like you have to set VSLICKUSERHOME and HOME.  Just setting VSLICKUSERHOME will handle most editor things (config directory etc), but there are Qt things that use HOME.  So just setting one doesn't completely work.

We'll look into it and see what we can do.  In the meantime as a workaround, you could write script that sets both.