Author Topic: "LINTing" Javascript with Visual Slickedit  (Read 3559 times)

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
"LINTing" Javascript with Visual Slickedit
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »
Can anyone recommend a "Javscript LINT" ( software that will graphically highlight syntax errors in JavaScript the way Live Errors does with Java code ) that integrates nicely with VSE?

I'm using Visual Slickedit 16.0.3 for Windows

Thanks in advance either way

Steve

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: "LINTing" Javascript with Visual Slickedit
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:41 pm »
I just tried out JavaScript Lint from http://www.javascriptlint.com/index.htm

All I had to do was set up the "Language Specific Project" command line for the Compile command. This is the command that shows up on the Build menu when you're got a file open with a particular extension, but are not using a project (which defines its own build/compile commands). To get to it, open the Tools > Options dialog, and drill down to the General section for the JavaScript language. Click the button marked "Language-Specific Project" and define the Compile command to invoke your lint tool. Screenshot image attached below.

Normally when adding a new compile/build/lint/etc tool you need to set up regular expressions so that SE knows how to pick up error messages in the build window. But it seems that this lint tool's error output is fairly straightforward and gets picked up by the existing default expressions. (But these are the Unix defaults that I tested on the Mac, so you may have some tweaking to do on Windows).

If you need guidance on setting up error parsing expressions, we do have a YouTube video that covers this at a high level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgsFuo-VOqI

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 04:51:24 pm »
Thank You

Allan

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 05:58:59 am »
Under SE Pro 2016 v21.0.1.0 64-bit for MS Windows, the location to specify JavaScript Lint has changed.  It is no longer a button in the General section.  It is now found under Tools --> Options --> Languages --> Web Authoring Languages --> JavaScript --> Single File Projects.  The rest of the instructions for setting up JavaScript Lint remain the same--i.e., I didn't need to tweak the settings as mentioned by Matthew.

HTH someone.