Author Topic: Save frequently used search&replace sets  (Read 2306 times)

elmar

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Save frequently used search&replace sets
« on: December 21, 2016, 10:27:36 AM »
Dear SlickEdit team,

I am frequently using the same search&replace regular expressions to reformat old code to new style, or to fix common editing issues of other code authors. For some time, these expressions will be available in the 'last used' drop-down list, however after short time they will be gone.
It would be very useful if SlickEdit would allow to save a combination of search&replace terms with the used settings (case sensitivity, regex, ...) globally, with a name assigned by the user.

Best regards

Elmar

P.S.: Of course I am aware that I could record macros for this purpose, but I would prefer a simple drop-down box with user-defined standard replace operations in the replace dialog.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Save frequently used search&replace sets
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
The Find and Replace tool window (and v21 mini find dialog) both support named search/replace settings. With the Find and Replace tool window, right-click to display the context menu and choose "Saved search expressions>Save search expression". Give it a name. Then it will appear on this menu.

The mini find dialog has the same feature. Click the down arrow on the right of the top most text box and you will see the "Save search expressions" sub menu.

elmar

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Save frequently used search&replace sets
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
Oh great, this seems to provide exactly what I need.
I did not even notice that there is a context menu in the search&replace dialog...
Thanks for the quick reply!

Best regards

Elmar