Author Topic: Ability to use forward slash in smartopen in windows (and backslash in linux)  (Read 5981 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
In Smart Open toolbar in Windows, I'd like to be able to enter in a path that has forward slashes in it, and SE recognizes them as backslash. Sometimes I want to copy/paste from logfiles that have forward slash.

Similarly I'd like to be able to use backslashes in Linux in Smart Open.

As an example, Windows Explorer supports using forward slashes in the address bar.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Forward slashes are supposed to be treated like backslashes everywhere on Windows. Looks like it doesn't work in the smart open dialog as well some other places. We will look into this.

Converting backslash to forward slash on unix is a different story. There are places where backslash is used to escape characters in a unix filename. I don't think that can be changed.

rowbearto

Thanks!

jblankatl

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Following up on this.  I am new to SlickEdit and this is something that would be highly useful for me.  The language Iused references files with a forward slash.  I would also like to be able to copy/paste from the program to open the referenced file.

rowbearto

Yep, forward slashes in smart open in Windows would still be very useful to me.

rowbearto

Thanks SE team for putting this into the latest hotfix!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Your welcome!

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Along these lines...
Is there a way to get slick to do path-mappings?

When working with msys or cywin (and ubuntu on Windows), the paths are slightly different: "/cygdrive/c/blah/foo.c"

Can slick recognize these and map them to the real windows path?

rowbearto

I'd really like this path mapping too! I'm a big user of cygwin and would love to be able to use /cygwin/c throughout SE.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Interesting.  It's definitely possible. Not trivial because it would require a new file driver but this is the easiest type of file driver. Also, need a small bit of hardwired code where we resolve symlinks. This may not be a symlink but conceptually it is.

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
I don'thave a current installation of Cygwin to refer to, but I do seem to recall that the Cygwin mount table allows changing the /cygdrive prefix to anything the user wants. The Cygwin user manual goes on to add:
To simplify scripting, Cygwin also provides a /proc/cygdrive symlink, which allows to use a fixed path in scripts, even if the actual cygdrive prefix has been changed, or is different between different users. So, in scripts, conveniently use the /proc/cygdrive symlink to successfully access files independently from the current cygdrive prefix
So maybe any SlickEdit capability to access Cygwin file paths should make recognition of the user specified Cygdrive prefix a modifiable option in the "File Options" section, rather than hard-coding it. And maybe internal use of the /proc/cygdrive symlink might simplify the implementation a bit, since it would have to work in all kinds of contexts (diff, VC browser, etc.).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:01:06 AM by mjdl »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Thanks. There needs to be some configurable mappings.