Author Topic: SE Pro 2016 hang on regex search  (Read 289 times)

mzel

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SE Pro 2016 hang on regex search
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:48:18 pm »
I just installed a new version and have a problem when trying to search for regex. Perl regex is enabled In the mini replace dialog I typed
\o:b+   
and that worked fine. The hilight option shows the spaces as expected. However when I add something after that "+" it starts spinning cursor and never returns.
2009 worked fine for me.
Update - just putting a " " instead of \o:b works, but a standard regex char class should work too
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:03:57 pm by mzel »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 85
Re: SE Pro 2016 hang on regex search
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 01:32:40 pm »
\o:b already has one or more modifier on it, so you are creating an exponential-time search by adding another one or more modifier ((?:[ \t]+)+.  It shouldn't hang like that though, I will investigate to see where it is looping.

mzel

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: SE Pro 2016 hang on regex search
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 03:28:17 pm »
Ok, I see. I upgraded from 2009 version. There I used "\s+$" to match end of line wihtespace. I see now that that "+" is already included there. As you say, it still should not lock up because of my error.
And I just noticed that it went into a long spin when I pressed Ctrl+Shift+F, probably 8sec.
As extra info: I am running on a corporate PC where some directories have read-only access. I do not know if this makes a difference, but I had some problems with 2009 because of this. I do not remember the exact details, I had to explicitly provide the write access to some dir, and repoint some cache or temp file to a different location.