Author Topic: Multiple rows of tabs  (Read 748 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 15
Multiple rows of tabs
« on: April 07, 2017, 03:33:41 pm »
Did multiple tab rows ever get implemented?  If not, are there any plans for the feature (even if it's only for the dockable tab bar)?  My 58 open files will thank you!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 265
Re: Multiple rows of tabs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:33:41 pm »
We're still kicking this can down the road. Sorry it hasn't been Implemented already.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 282
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:23:09 pm »
Quick question, which would you prefer, multiple rows of tabs, or left/right docking tabs?

Both are difficult to implement, but the left/right (vertical, rolodex-style tabs), would probably be easier to use, and of more benefit with todays large (tall) monitors.

jorick

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:59:47 am »
A vertical rolodex style would be very useful if I could hover over the tabs with the mouse and use the mouse wheel to spin them around if there are too many to view at one time.  I would probably prefer that one.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 282
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 04:17:38 pm »
In that case, and I recognize this is not a proper substitute to rolodex style tabs, is to dock the "Files" tool window on the right hand side of your editor control and switch it to the "Buffers" tab.  You'll be able to scroll, and see more items than the horizontal tabs generally have room for, but you will need to double-click to change buffers rather than single-click.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 111
  • Text
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 06:00:57 pm »
I've got a macro to assign a key binding to float/dock toolwindows - makes it easy to toggle back and forth.
https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,15213.0.html

jorick

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 12:39:04 pm »
Dennis, I had no idea I could do that.  That's actually quite nice having them there on the side of my window.  Thanks!