Author Topic: Visual Studio 2017 Support?  (Read 4211 times)

reno3d

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Visual Studio 2017 Support?
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:08 PM »
Hello,

Recently I altered one of our projects to build with Visual Studio 2017.  The solution file is generated by cmake.

If I open the solution in Visual Studio 2017, the project will build as expected. 
If I envoke devenv from the command line (using the specific path to the Visual Studio 2017 install directory it will build as  expected also ).

However, If I "Open Other WorkSpace" in slickedit ( 21.0.2 ) and attempt to build the project, I'll receive an error in the build window that "The build tools for v141 (Platform Toolset = 'v141') cannot be found"

I've installed the Visual Studio Build Tools as well, hoping this would fix the issue however it did not.

Of Note, when opening the project in slick edit ... the build window output shows paths being set to Visual Studio "14" which is incorrect.

I do have both Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017 installed.

Thanks,
-Tim

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Visual Studio 2017 Support?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:52:28 AM »
The current plan is to add support for visual studio 2017 to the next major release.

reno3d

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
Great!  Thanks for the reply Clark.

I looked into it more and VS2017 stopped adding paths to the registry and environment vars which has made our build tool chain awkward as well.  I'm not pleased with their decision to change how build tools are exposed.

What's the ETA for the next major release?  I'm just trying to manage my expectations.

-Tim

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
Hopefully early 4th quarter.

macjohnmcc

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »
It would be great if it were possible to easily add a new build system to Slickedit. I should be able to provide batch file or other script that takes parameters from slickedit for the build/compile so I could make the build work for something like VS2017 myself or even some other never going to be supported toolset. I can see it requiring knowledge of the formating of the error messages in the compiler output but I've seen products configurable to that extent before.

I have had the need to add /USEENV to build with visual studio devenv.exe and I can easily add it in Slickedit but I cannot add it for the compile of a single file. I would like to be able to have timely support for new versions of visual studio that do not require I wait for another major release of Slickedit.