Author Topic: The difference between vi and emacs editor window mode?  (Read 2274 times)

onlyflyer

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
The difference between vi and emacs editor window mode?
« on: May 21, 2017, 11:46:01 PM »
Hi,
I used emacs emulation before and recently I changed it to vi.

One thing I noticed is the if I open a new file in a window, emacs mode will use this file to occupy the editor window, but vi mode it will open a new tab and this file will share the window with the previous files.

I don't like the vi mode and I found a option to disable it by:

editting->editor window->one file per window.

It works will before, but today it doesn't work. In vi mode, different files tab share the same window again. I loaded the 21.0.2 hot fix yesterday and I am not sure if it is the hot fix break this setting.

Anyone has any idea to help on this issue?

Thanks!

onlyflyer

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: The difference between vi and emacs editor window mode?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:23:03 AM »
I delete all configuration files and reset again, now this setting works.

Thanks!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: The difference between vi and emacs editor window mode?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »
Often it looks like changing the "Files per window" isn't working due to auto-restore. Auto-restore doesn't care what the "Files per window" setting is and will restore a workspace or invocation exactly the way things were before. By deleting your config, you cleared the auto-restore information used by an invocation (you could just delete vrestore.slk). This doesn't clear auto-restore information in your workspaces though.

Also keep in mind that changing the "Files per window" setting doesn't change the windows/tabs/buffer layout you currently have.

Hope this helps.