Author Topic: How to tag assembler files together with C in a Project  (Read 2557 times)

hebsahid

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
How to tag assembler files together with C in a Project
« on: May 22, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
I have the following problem with SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.1.2)

My project includes files from C, C++, Java, Python and Intel assembler.

When creating my project I choose the directory where all my source tree is located and all files are included in the project. ( I have tried with  C/C++ and Other language when creating the project)

I can start searching by Variables in C, C++, Java and Python projects and it finds and list all definitions of variables except the ones in assembler files.

Once I open the assembler file and do the search again, now it lists the variable, and that variable will be saved for next times I search for this with the file closed.

But I do not want to open all assembler files (900+) and search first for all the variables to allow SlickEdit to "remember" what is supposed to be done with the tagging of the project.

I have created an assembler tag file, but it is not linked to projects, in this case it works fine, but I lose the tagging of all other source and when changing project I need to also manually change the tag file.

Any idea how to make it work automatically?

Regards.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: How to tag assembler files together with C in a Project
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »
How are you searching for the variable?  There are a lot of different ways to work with symbols in SlickEdit.

How are these symbols declared in the assembly language modules?  It may be that they are being treated as static variables.  Some sample code would be very helpful here.

Also, you should try SlickEdit 2016.  The Assembly tagging has been rewritten in C++, it's faster and better.

hebsahid

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: How to tag assembler files together with C in a Project
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »
All my routines in assembler are public.

I search for this in different ways (with the same result, not listed the one in assembler until the file is opened and searched at least once variable...)
I search in the "Find Symbol" toolbar, "References" or trying to open "Declaration" of the routine (Ctrl+ ".")

piece of assembler code:

[...]
PL0NON  equ     9ah                     
PL0CON  equ     9eh                 

PUBLIC  set_exc
set_exc:
        push    ds
        mov     ax, EXA_SEG             ; EXA alias
        mov     ds, ax
[...]
PL0INTGATE      equ     08e00h

PUBLIC  SETVEC, setvec     
SETVEC:
setvec:
        push    bp                      ; Get stack frame
        mov     bp,sp
        cld                             ; Foward for string move
        push    es   
[...]

about SlickEdit2016. I only have license for 2013 version :( and no plans in the company to buy new licenses right now.

Before v.18 we used version 9 and I remember this thing worked fine without extra steps...

thanks for your help on that.

Regards