Author Topic: Split windows, navigating windows and buffers  (Read 2136 times)

jbhurst

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 33
Split windows, navigating windows and buffers
« on: May 12, 2007, 09:07:48 pm »
Hi all,

I am curious about how to get good keyboard navigation with split windows.

Suppose as an example I have four files A, B, C, D. I want to do a horizontal split, and arrange them so that A and B are shown in the top window and C and D are shown in the bottom window. I'd like to be able to switch between the top and bottom windows using the keyboard, ideally with next-window (Ctrl+Tab). I'd like to be able to switch between the buffers in a window using the keyboard too, ideally with next/prev-buffer (Ctrl+N/Ctrl+P).

When I try to use the split window features, either with "One file per window" on or off, I don't get useful behavior from next-window or next/prev-buffer. (I hesitate to call the behavior random, but I cannot figure out the logic to it.)

Any ideas?

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

hs2

• Hero Points: 285
Re: Split windows, navigating windows and buffers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 07:49:51 am »
Hello John,
there is an explanation in 'Help->Index->smart (next window)'. Just in case ... you didn't RTFM ;)

HS2

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 05:17:22 am »
Hi hs2,

I have read that part of the manual, but cannot figure out how to put it into practice. Can you supply a sequence of steps to get two files in the top pane and two in the bottom, so you can switch windows or buffers with the keyboard?

I think I'm missing something really simple here, but I don't get useful behavior for next/prev-window and next/prev-buffer with split windows (and because of this I avoid split windows with SlickEdit).

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

hs2

• Hero Points: 285
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 09:25:42 am »
Hi John,

I'm not using window splitting w/ mult. windows. To be honest I'm not using mult. windows at all.
So CTRL-TAB always works fine for me.
Hopefully a real expert can tell sth. about window-buffer switching - sorry...

HS2