Author Topic: Setting up v20 -- can't turn off unwanted features. Bug?  (Read 724 times)

Margaret

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Setting up v20 -- can't turn off unwanted features. Bug?
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:26:39 pm »
I'm trying to set up v20, which I bought awhile ago but haven't really used because it kept crashing after overflowing all available disc space with its spill file. 

Even though I only want alias expansion, I find I can't turn off symbol and syntax expansion, nor can I turn off the "visual details".  Is this a bug or an  annoyance left unfixed from earlier versions (I know I'm not the only one who dislikes fairly passionately the intrusiveness)?

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 362
Re: Setting up v20 -- can't turn off unwanted features. Bug?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:20:27 pm »
Tools > Options > Languages > All Languages > Auto-Complete
   Uncheck Symbols
   Uncheck Keywords
   Uncheck Syntax Expansion
   Uncheck Word completion
   Uncheck Argument completion

On the same options screen, under Visual Details
   Uncheck whatever you don't want to see.

Since you only want alias expansion, then you probably just want the list of matches and exapanded text, you can turn off all the others, including the icons and categories and parameters options under "List of matches".

Since you do not want syntax expansion, you may want to also uncheck "Use Syntax Expansion on space" on the same page.

If you want to do this only for a specific language mode, rather than All Languages, navigate to the language options page by going to Document > [language] Options...

If this doesn't work, you are going to have to post an example and steps to reproduce.

Margaret

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:15:45 pm »
Perhaps I was in the wrong place, earlier, because this time I could turn off all the unwanted completions.

However, I can't turn off all the "Visual Details": 

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 362
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:01:38 pm »
Auto-completion exists to help provide you with suggestions on what completions are available at any given time.  There's not point in it if you can't see what it is suggesting.

Alias expansion still works even if you have Auto-complete completely disabled, you just have to know the names of your aliases.

Thus, if you want to turn off all the visual details, then you don't want auto-complete either, so just uncheck "Enable auto-completion".

Margaret

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 01:29:07 pm »
How nice!  Thank you.  I thought the inclusion of aliases under "enable auto-completion" meant that they wouldn't expand unless "aliases" was ticked. 

It might be worth relabeling that section to explain that ticking the various options isn't really about enabling expansion itself, but rather expansion suggestions [presuming that that's the case, of course:  after thinking it meant expansion itself all these years I'm not 100% confident that I'm not still getting something wrong!]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:37:42 pm by Margaret »