Author Topic: Code Annotations needs some love  (Read 2613 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Code Annotations needs some love
« on: June 23, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »
Please, either fix this feature or cut it.
I find it really attractive as it could be so useful, yet it really needs some love as it doesn't work well.
Every time I try to make use of it, I get seriously disappointed.

#1: Its got lots of bugs
#2: Its got lots of usability issues.

I reported a slick stack yesterday.

Today, I tried looking at the annotations I created yesterday, and they don't show up.
(well -- sortof. ShowTypes "Show all" was selected. The list of annotations was empty, yet  the Comment box showed the comment for one of the annotations).

Hm...So I started digging for the settings.
I created a new annotation file with a unique name to make it easy to search for.
Seems to only appear in vslick.STA and vrestore.SLK

ExportAllSettings doesn't save any annotations settings (like the locations for extra *.sca files).
Seems like this is a setting and it should export/import, no?

Then I closed slick and ran it again.
Now my yesterday annotations reappeared, but the new annotation file I just created went missing!

Annotations settings should appear in Tools->Options someplace, but they don't.

I also noticed when I went to create the new annotation file that in the AnnotationFileManager, it had no annotation files.
After adding the new file and restarting Slick, while the new annotation file was no longer there, now in the file manager I see (Personal Annotations), (Project Annotations), (Workspace Annotations).

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Re: Code Annotations needs some love
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »
While I'd like to like this feature, I recommend cutting it, as there are other much more important features that need more work, and I assume you have limited resources to do all this stuff.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: Code Annotations needs some love
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 12:01:32 PM »
I'm testing code annotations.
I created half a dozen workspace annotations, then I tried to create a comment one and just as I selected the type of annotation to create, slick gave me a repeating stack for which the only solution was to close the annotations tool window.  Re-opening the annot. tool window gives an immediate repeating stack error at 29284.  Closing slick and restarting allowed me to open the annot. tool window.

Variable element or variable not initialized
annotations.ex 29284 annotations:showFields(
   1:   
  • =0

1:   [1]=1
   1:   [2]=2
   1:   [3]=3
   1:   [4]=4
   1:   [5]=5
   1:   [6]=6
   1:   [7]=7
   1:   [8]=8
   1:   [9]=9
   p_window_id: 214
   p_object: OI_FORM
   p_name: _tbannotations_browser_form
annotations.ex 51057 annotations:relocateMarkers(28,0)   p_window_id: 521   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name: edit1
annotations.ex 2957 _switchbuf_annotations(,W,<empty>,-1)   p_window_id: 521   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name: edit1
files.ex 12357 call_list(_switchbuf_,,W,<empty>,-1)   p_window_id: 521   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name: edit1
stdprocs.ex 13801 switch_buffer(,W,<empty>,-1)   p_window_id: 521   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name: edit1
stdprocs.ex 13549 _on_got_focus()   p_window_id: 521   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name: edit1