Author Topic: choose cursor shape for REPLACE and OVERSTRIKE  (Read 179 times)

jcelle

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
choose cursor shape for REPLACE and OVERSTRIKE
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:05:27 am »
Hello,
I am evaluating SE with cursor style = "use block".
Today, in OVERSTRIKE mode, the cursor is an underscore, and in INSERT mode, it is a half blocK

I think, but I am not sure as I coulf not find a way to revert it, I think that it was the opposite before:
- underscore = INSERT
- half-block = OVERSTRIKE

So I have a simple question, is there a way to configure which shape is which mode ?

Thanks and regards.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:07:14 am by jcelle »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 81
Re: choose cursor shape for REPLACE and OVERSTRIKE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 01:18:02 pm »
If you asked me, I would have said this was the other way around too, but I checked as far back as version 16.0 and it hasn't changed since then anyway.  You aren't using a different emulation are you?  Vim emulation changes the cursor style.

There is a way to change this. Unfortunately, there is not a GUI for it (it is a very old command, dating to textmode SlickEdit).

If you go to the SlickEdit command line (by pressing Esc in most emulations), and type "cursor-shape" and press Enter, you will be prompted with a list of numbers.  I was going to show what the documentation says about what those numbers mean, but I'll spare you.  I'm pretty sure what you want is this:
750 1000 450 1000 750 1000 450 1000

This pretty much reverses the stock default for insert mode, replace mode, and when the cursor is in virtual space.  If this still doesn't get the shapes you want, let me know and I'll explain how to tweak it.

jcelle

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: choose cursor shape for REPLACE and OVERSTRIKE
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:45:54 pm »
Whaow !!
This worked...
I love this !!
Thanks so much Dan.
(I am indeed in CUA emulation)