Author Topic: How can I sort directories displayed in the Projects panel ?  (Read 2176 times)

jcelle

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
Hi everyone,
I might miss something very obvious but can't sort it out.
Why are my directories listed in my Projects panel not alphabetically sorted ? (cf. attached screenshot).
I am using "custom view".
I can't use "Folder view" because it is too verbose (also in screenshot).
Thanks for any idea !
Jerome

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: How can I sort directories displayed in the Projects panel ?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »
If the folders in the Projects tree are virtual folders, then they are not automatically sorted alphabetically.  Right clicking on a virtual folder in Projects toolbar, you can use Move Up or Move Down to order them how you like.  Depending on how the folders were added to the project file, then they may have not been sorted by default.  Folders added by wildcard entries are also handled a bit differently, may be sorted differently depending on if there is a mix virtual folders and folders added via wildcard.

How were files/folders added to project?  If you post your vpj file I can examine it and see.  Depending on how project is organized and how files were added, we may need to address sorting or maybe add a new feature to resort folders as needed.

jcelle

• Hero Points: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
Hi Lee and thanks for your reply.

I am posting two vpj files.
- oneboard-displayOK-sortKO.vpj
- oneboard.vpj (sort OK but display KO) which I repopulated this morning.

To populate the project I think I always do the same thing : use the "Add tree" button of project properties. I check 'Recursive' and 'Create Subfolders'.
'Add as wildcard' is UNchecked.
But having emptied/pulated many times I might be missing something (the two vpj files are different and I don't understand where the difference comes from).

But what is important to me is to get rid of these lines like in project oneboard-displayOK-sortKO.vpj (I am no longer able to reproduce it!)
u:\
oneboard\
protected\
They are useless and eat precious horizontal identations.

Thanks for the moveUp/moveDown options. I will use them I manage to re-create my project properly.

Note that I also opened a case ( CAS-70070-TGMG) for a similar problem looking more like bug than an untamed feature.
Many thanks again for your help.
Cheers,
Jerome

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
There definitely can be improvements made here.  I am going to make some changes Add Tree with Create Subfolders currently appends unsorted at the top folder, but there is sorting for subfolders.  That could be better.  I am looking at that and the other issues reported from your support case.  Some of these are not hotfixable, but will be addressed in next major release.