Author Topic: automake vs vsmake  (Read 5824 times)

SoftJunkie

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
automake vs vsmake
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:20:30 PM »
can anyone help me understand the merits of using automake vs slick's builtin make? we develop in both linux and windows (vs2005, vs6 and cygwin) environments.

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: automake vs vsmake
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »
@SoftJunkie:
In case you mean (GNU) make w/ custom makefile vs vsbuild I can only say that you obviously get more flexibilty and a lot more hard work when using the 1st method.
'vsbuild' can make life a lot easier if you don't want to / can't spend time to develop an good build system and/or you don't need to do extra stuff on build.
BTW: There is no built-in make. SE just calls 'make' if configured and if it's in the PATH it succeeds.
If you really mean automake vs SE related to makefile generation I've no idea. I do not trust code generators at all ;)
Edit: I'd use cmake instead of legacy automake for new projects.

Good luck,

HS2
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:08:03 AM by hs2 »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »
If your builds aren't doing anything particularly challenging and everyone on your team is using SlickEdit, then I'd favor SlickEdit's built-in build system.

Where external make systems really shine is if you have extra steps, like pre- or post-build processing that you need to do. Also, if your team is using a mix of tools, an external make system will provide consistency to all team members to ensure that builds are done precisely the same way. It also facilitates setting up an automated nightly build process, which many consider to be an important step in a well-managed coding process. You can do that with vsbuild if you prefer to use SlickEdit's build system.

We try to be process agnostic so that you can do things the way YOU think is best. If the SlickEdit build system makes your life easier, by all means you should use it.

--Scott

SoftJunkie

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:13:41 AM »
we currently have a lot of slick users on the team. our CI (continuous integration) build server is using vsbuild as well. so far, the only place that i've seen a reason to not use vsbuild is when we need rules for files that aren't using the standard extensions such as .hpi or something special.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 08:53:32 AM »
And it also leads me to the question, whether vsbuild fully supports dependency checking (e.g. nested includes) or not.
That's the reason why I'm still using handcrafted makefiles.

HS2