Author Topic: Beta1: Initial startup takes 5 minutes and 30GB of memory  (Read 4528 times)

microcode

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
Beta1: Initial startup takes 5 minutes and 30GB of memory
« on: August 09, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
V22 Beta 1
Windows 64-bit
Upgrading from SlickEdit Pro 2016 (v21.0.3.0 64-bit)

There seems to be something in my config that is causing Beta1 to take a long time to start up and consume a lot of memory.  This only happens on the initial startup after install and it's definitely related to copying the config from the older version because it doesn't happen if I start with a clean config (vs.exe -sc C:\Temp).

Here is what happens:

When I launch the application, I very briefly see the small window that says it's copying the config from the older version.  But that's visible for less than a second--it appears and then disappears.  Then there is nothing visible at all, but Task Manager shows that vs.exe is continually increasing it's memory usage.  After about 5 minutes, the main application window appears and is fully functional.  But Task Manager shows that memory usage is still about 30GB.  VS doesn't seem to release this memory (I waited several minutes).  After closing the app and starting again, memory usage is normal (about 122MB).

My first suspect was the location of my vsdelta directory for backup history, because recently I had set this to be at the top-level SlickEdit config directory (C:\Users\me\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\vsdelta).  But after some testing, this does not appear to be the cause of the issue.  I even tried having V21 create a new vsdelta directory from scratch at the default location--but still I see the same problem when V22 creates its initial config.

I'd rather not post my full config tree since it contains copies of files with proprietary data.  So what can I do to try and find the cause of this problem?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: Beta1: Initial startup takes 5 minutes and 30GB of memory
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:35:03 PM »
It is probably converting the vsdelta archive files to a new format.

How many files are in there and how big are they? I haven't seen it take nearly that long.

microcode

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
There are 385 vsdelta files.   90+% of them are less than 100KB.  The largest is 2.56MB.  About 30 fall in that range between 100KB and 2MB.

But it think there is something else going on, because I can configure V21 to use a new vsdelta directory (created new from scratch) and V22 still has the startup problem after that.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »
But it think there is something else going on, because I can configure V21 to use a new vsdelta directory (created new from scratch) and V22 still has the startup problem after that.

What is in the vsdelta directory before?  Are they still in the root config directory?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »
Can you zip up your config without the vsdelta directory (just what was in the 21.0.3 directory)?  There shouldn't be anything proprietary in there (there may be some filenames, but no actual files).  Maybe with this we can reproduce the problem.

With your vsdelta directory pulled out like that, we think it is converted already - because part of the conversion is moving them there, because as you realized, it takes up a lot of time converting configs - and won't touch it up front.  We will check on the fly anything that uses it, and convert it then.  I just double checked this and it works.

microcode

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
What is in the vsdelta directory before?  Are they still in the root config directory?

What I meant is that I moved the vsdelta directory out of the root config directory entirely (to somewhere else for safe keeping).  Then I changed the V21 config to use the default location (i.e. cleared out that field in the config UI).  V21 then created a brand new (mostly empty) vsdelta directory in its default location.  Then I also deleted the 22.0.0 config directory, so the only thing in the root config directory was the 21.0.3 config directory.  Then I launched V22 again, and it copies/migrates the config from 21.0.3.  But this still takes 5 minutes and consumes a lot of memory.  So it doesn't appear to be caused by the contents of the vsdelta directory.

I'll put things back the way they were originally and then zip up the config directory (after checking/removing the things I'm concerned about).  BTW, what is the "mfundo" directory?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
It is multi-file undo data, and could potentially contain versions of your files, but they're deleted when you exit.  So if you've exited the editor, there shouldn't be anything in there.

microcode

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:28:21 PM »
It appears that I can't upload my config.  It appears to upload, but then my post never appears in this thread.  The zip file is 96.2MB.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »
Sending a PM with upload details.

SlickEdit Support

microcode

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »
Good news!  This problem does not occur with beta 2.  I just installed 22.0.0 beta 2, and it starts up in less than 3 seconds when migrating the config from 21.0.3.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »
Case Closed :)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 07:07:20 PM »
If you don't mind, I think it might be a good idea if we get that config data anyway, just so we can see if we can reproduce it in beta 1, and figure out what changed.