Author Topic: B2: Smart Open Column Width hiding extensions, and column width change doesn't s  (Read 9709 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
See attached png file for a good description of the issue.

It seems that the column width of smart open is not set properly and I can't see the extensions of my files.

After I change the column width, if I do anything else, such as double clicking one of those files or just clicking inside an editor window, the column width goes back automatically to the width where I can't see the extensions of the files.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
No luck so far reproducing this on Windows, macOS, or Linux. What your OS, resolution, and are you running on a macOS retina display?

rowbearto

I'm on CentOS 7, 64bit linux

rowbearto

SlickEdit Pro 2017 (v22.0.0.2 64-bit)

License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2017-11-06 19:00:00
License file: /home/rbresali/pen/slickedit/se_latest_beta_64/bin/slickedit.lic

Build Date: August 11, 2017
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
Kernel Level: 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64
Build Version: #1 SMP Thu Nov 19 22:10:57 UTC 2015
Processor Architecture: x86_64

X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Memory: 16% Load, 1101MB/6770MB Virtual
Shell Information: /home/rbresali/pen/slickedit/se_latest_beta_64/bin/secsh -i
Screen Size: 1904 x 960

Project Type: Cpp
Language: .h (C/C++)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: /home/rbresali/pen/slickedit/se_latest_beta_64/
Configuration Directory: /home/rbresali/pen/slickedit/config/22.0.0/
Migrated from: /home/rbresali/pen/slickedit/config/21.0.3/

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Are you running in a VIrtual Machine? Struggling at the moment trying to reproduce your screen resolution.

Can you reproduce this on a display with a more standard resolution?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:04:53 PM by Clark »

rowbearto

I uploaded my configuration to support.slickedit.com - maybe that will help you to reproduce.

Yes, I am running in a virtual machine in a VNC session. You can also try a VNC session to set your geometry. I use the following script to setup my screen resolution (you will need to modify it):

#!/usr/bin/env bash
DISPLAYNAME="VNC-0"
# This will setup screen resolutions that later allow to run xrandr --output
# See http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-display-resolution-settings-using-xrandr.html
xrandr --newmode "1904x960_60.00"  151.00  1904 2016 2216 2528  960 963 973 996 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode $DISPLAYNAME 1904x960_60.00
xrandr --output $DISPLAYNAME --mode 1904x960_60.00

To figure out what to place after "xrandr --newmode", run "cvt 1904 960" as instructed here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-display-resolution-settings-using-xrandr.html

To figure out what to use for your "$DISPLAYNAME", run "xrandr" and you should run "xrandr" as below:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 32 x 32, current 1904 x 960, maximum 32768 x 32768
VNC-0 connected primary 1904x960+0+0 0mm x 0mm

Notice the "VNC-0" in the output above, you may have something different. Use whatever you have there for your DISPLAYNAME.

I choose this resolution so that it does not cover my windows taskbar but otherwise fills my screen when I am VNCing into the VM.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:51:13 PM by rowbearto »

rowbearto

At the moment, even with my existing screen resolution (1904x960), I can't reproduce 1/2 the problem, but the other 1/2 of the problem is reproducible.

The 1/2 that is reproducible - after I change the column width, if I click in editor window or I double click on a file, the column width that I set gets changed.

The 1/2 that is currently not reproducible is that the extension is hidden by the column width. When it happens again I'll try to see if I can figure out the conditions where it reproduces.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
I can reproduce that part. Only changing the file list should change the columns. Might be hard to fix but we'll try.

rowbearto

I have reproduced the hiding extensions part (was not happening earlier), but do not yet know why or how to reliably repeat it. Will spend a little time figuring it out. I have been running and using SE for a few hours today, whereas before I did it on a fresh start. But don't know specifically what is triggering it.

rowbearto

I had many many file tabs open when it was reproduced. I just cleaned up with a File->Close All to get rid of all my file tabs. After this the hiding extensions has gone away. Don't know if they are fully correlated but it is an observation.

rowbearto

Opening a bunch of new random file tabs did not reproduce the issue again. Any tips to observe when I am in the reproduced state again?

rowbearto

OK, I think I figured out how to reproduce it.

I have 2 files in my project with same base name and different extension: RunContext.cc and RunContext.hh.

If I have both of these files open in editor windows, then the problem is reproduced - type "RunContext" in Smart Open and I can't see the extension.

If I have just one of these files open in an editor window and I type "RunContext", I can see the extension.

Another aspect to the issue: If I have just one of these files open (RunContext.cc), and the other closed, when I type "RunContext.cc" in smart open, the .cc is hidden in the column, but if I only type "RunContext", then I can see the .cc.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Still no luck reproducing this. I've create a workspace/project with the files you say cause the problem.

Please download and unzip this to see if you can reproduce the problem with it.

rowbearto

I can reproduce it with your project if I change the current directory to "file01/public" (parent dir of "Clark"), such that when I type "runcontext" in smart open, the only 2 files appearing in the window are runcontext.cc and runcontext.hh. If for example the current directory is "file01/public/clark/runcontext-project/runcontext/", then when typing "runcontext" in smart open then there are other files in the listing besides the .cc and .hh - the .vpw, .vpj, etc will also be in the window - this obscures the problem. You need to be in a directory such that only the .cc and .hh will end up listed in the Smart Open, then the problem is reproduced on my end.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
I think I'm going to need to try to setup a screen/VNC like what you have or I'll never be able to reproduce this.