Author Topic: Where is the .vimrc file when in vi mode ?  (Read 2741 times)

geneenji

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Where is the .vimrc file when in vi mode ?
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
Wish there's a place to hold my vi settings. Thanks !

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Where is the .vimrc file when in vi mode ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:37:46 AM »
VIM settings are not stored separately from other options and there has been no attempt at emulating VIM configuration files.

Recent version of SlickEdit store most of your VIM settings in user.cfg.xml. If you open your user.cfg.xml, then use a supported VIM "set" command like "set ignorecase", then switch to another application, then switch back to SlickEdit, and you can diff the before and after changes due to auto-reload being kicked off. This works for many GUI config settings you change too. That's how you can learn how to manually update your user.cfg.xml. I save my user.cfg.xml on our local server here so I can copy it in to any new configuration directory I create.

geneenji

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:19:34 PM »
Good news if we have a way around.
I did find user.cfg.xml, but not sure how to add ""set ignorecase".
There's no "set" in my xml, can you share piece of xml please ?

Thanks !

VIM settings are not stored separately from other options and there has been no attempt at emulating VIM configuration files.

Recent version of SlickEdit store most of your VIM settings in user.cfg.xml. If you open your user.cfg.xml, then use a supported VIM "set" command like "set ignorecase", then switch to another application, then switch back to SlickEdit, and you can diff the before and after changes due to auto-reload being kicked off. This works for many GUI config settings you change too. That's how you can learn how to manually update your user.cfg.xml. I save my user.cfg.xml on our local server here so I can copy it in to any new configuration directory I create.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:51:22 PM »
That's right, there are no set commands in there. The format and names do not emulate VI. You will mostly see named properties. There are 1000s of properties. That's why I gave instructions on how to use diff to get a property name and the xml syntax. This is all low level stuff. The GUI is much easier.