Author Topic: Using Tab/Shift-tab to indent selection ends up unselecting the text  (Read 4593 times)

mwb1100

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
When I have a number of lines selected and I use tab or shift-tab to indent/unindent the selected lines, the selection goes away after the indent/unindent operation.  This makes it tedious to apply multiple indent operations to the selection.

I have "Indent selection when text selected" enabled.

SlickEdit Pro 2017 (v22.0.0.2 64-bit) on Linux Mint 18.2

mwb1100

Re: Using Tab/Shift-tab to indent selection ends up unselecting the text
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:08:37 AM »
Possibly related: selections just seem a little flaky for me.  For example, I'll double-click to select a word, and the selection will disappear after half a second or a second.  But not every time.  I haven't figured out how to make this occur deterministically, but it happens quite often.

jwiede

• Hero Points: 12
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
Possibly related: selections just seem a little flaky for me.  For example, I'll double-click to select a word, and the selection will disappear after half a second or a second.  But not every time.  I haven't figured out how to make this occur deterministically, but it happens quite often.

AHA!  So I'm not hallucinating this occurrence with v22b2, I was starting to worry. ;D 

Sorry, I don't have a deterministic repro either, but I've definitely encountered similar behavior where moused selections just disappear (despite no further mousing/selection actions).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:27:40 PM »

AHA!  So I'm not hallucinating this occurrence with v22b2, I was starting to worry. ;D 

Sorry, I don't have a deterministic repro either, but I've definitely encountered similar behavior where moused selections just disappear (despite no further mousing/selection actions).

What OS are you on? Just wondering if it's the same is the OOP. Might not be OS related at all though.

Slawtinedee

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
I get the same weird selection issue on Linux Mint, same as OP. I tried to load up bubbleclips. I don't think it's OS related though, could be wrong. Just wanted to throw that info in here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:19:02 AM by Slawtinedee »

mwb1100

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
This is very strange. Neither of these problems seems to be happening to me anymore.  The one significant thing I can think of that could have affected the behavior (somehow?) is that I installed se_21000300_linux64 on this system to see if these issues happened there.

The Mint 18.2 system is a new system - I was migrating to it from an older Mint 17.1 system (both are VMs).  The 18.2 system never had SE installed on it until I installed the SE2017 Beta 2.  I decided to install SE2016 on it to see if the problems occurred there as well. I couldn't repro the problems with SE2016, but now I also cannot repo them with SE2017 B2.

Is there any sensible reason that could be?

Some other things I have installed or remember configuring in the past week or so. I can't imagine that these would have any effect:

- the pss search utility from https://github.com/eliben/pss.git
  - the zsh shell (but I'm not actively using it - I only installed it and tried a couple of test commands in it)

Exolon

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
  • https://blog.mdb977.de/
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »
This still happens here with RC1 as you can see in the attached screen recording.

OS Version: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Kernel Level: 4.4.0-96-generic
Processor Architecture: x86_64
Project Type: Gnuc
Language: .cpp (C/C++)
Encoding: Automatic

Regards

Exo

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »
This still happens here with RC1 as you can see in the attached screen recording.

OS Version: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Kernel Level: 4.4.0-96-generic
Processor Architecture: x86_64
Project Type: Gnuc
Language: .cpp (C/C++)
Encoding: Automatic

Regards

Exo
Can't even reproduce this once here.

Any idea what could be different?
Can you reproduce this every time?
If not, how random is it?
Does it matter if you have a project open?
Does it happen in a clean config with just this file open?

mwb1100

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
FWIW, once this problem went away for me, it has not come back in either Beta 3 or RC1.  Even if I specify a clean config using -sc.

But I don't really know what I did to change the behavior.  I happened when I first installed Beta 2, but at some point it stopped happening (still in Beta 2).  As I mentioned before, the thing I did that sorta seems most likely to cause the change in behavior was installing SE2016 to see if it repro'ed there.

texasaggie97

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 05:57:13 PM »
I am getting this on both 21.0.3 and v22 RC2. It is not consistent, though once it happens, it will happen a couple of times before going away for a few more days.

I have not been able to find anything that will reliably reproduce this.

I have a workspace with three projects in it open. I had a couple of Python files open and one plain text. This happened in the plain text file.