Author Topic: Managing many files in several projects  (Read 2876 times)

jasonnet

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Managing many files in several projects
« on: August 30, 2017, 04:12:14 pm »
Hello Clark and Community,

Quick Question:  How do people manage multiple projects with many files each in VS?

Background:
I'm a long time SE user (1990'ish) but haven't been keeping up with developments and trends.

I tend to work on several projects on a given day each with 10 - 15 files eventually being loaded in to the editor at a time.   I switch between projects about 30 times a day.    As a result, I tend to end up with about 40 - 50 files loaded in SlickEdit and it becomes unwieldy to move around between files.  -- I currently run in one-window==one-file mode.  I use just one SlickEdit window.   I tend to use Ctrl+P or Ctrl+N to move between windows because it's a quick finger combination.  I am not using any of the tagging or project support.

Ideally I think I'd like to have multiple rings of files that I could manage, one ring per project.  One ring per desktop editor window.  As a result, I sometimes resort to using several editor products with each managing its own ring to achieve this, but because almost all of my files are remote and few products support remote editing, this is not ideal.

Bottom Line Question:

How do community members deal with a situation where one switches between many projects each with many files?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 141
Re: Managing many files in several projects
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 04:14:36 pm »
Does each project have its own workspace, or is it 15 projects all in the same workspace?

jasonnet

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:58:15 pm »
Does each project have its own workspace, or is it 15 projects all in the same workspace?

@Dan. Thanks for the quick reply and for pointing out that the VS Workspace feature should be helpful.  -- In my case, I was not using VS Workspaces or Projects.  I just had sets of remote, and occasionally local, files that I tend to edit together.  My "projects" often have complex networks of Makefile's and included Makefile's.  Other "projects" have no concept of build and are just collections of files I edit.

Thanks to your reply, I just began to play with the VS Workspace feature.   It seems to be what I was looking for.   Unfortunately I'm also seeing that when I switch between Workspaces, the buffers for remote files become empty.  This would be a major impediment.   Are you seeing more reasonable behavior?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:01:55 pm »
Well, my suggestion was that if you were using workspaces, you turn on "auto restore workspace files", so that it will open the specific set of files you had open for that workspace.  It sounds like you have that on.

I've never seen restored files come up empty.  That's strange.  Generally it can open it and restores it, or it can't open it and will tell you, and continue.

Are you on Windows?  What kind of file system are remote files on?  What happens if you close them and then open them again?

jasonnet

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 05:21:11 pm »
Well, my suggestion was that if you were using workspaces, you turn on "auto restore workspace files", so that it will open the specific set of files you had open for that workspace.  It sounds like you have that on.
Yes. 

I've never seen restored files come up empty.  That's strange.  Generally it can open it and restores it, or it can't open it and will tell you, and continue.
I've experimented further.   If the was content in the buffer when I switched away to another workspace, when I return, the buffers are empty.   If I then switch away and back to the workspace, those windows are now gone.
Are you on Windows?  What kind of file system are remote files on?  What happens if you close them and then open them again?
Yes Windows10.  Remote right now is Ubuntu 16.04's default file system.  If I close the empty windows and use the FTP pane to reload them, they do reload.  But if I switch workspaces and return, the problem reoccurs.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 05:26:03 pm »
So the files that are coming up empty are all opened with the FTP tool window?

jasonnet

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 05:38:26 pm »
So the files that are coming up empty are all opened with the FTP tool window?
Yes.   Remote files opened with FTP (cygwin ssh) behave this way.  OTOH local files are fully restored without issue.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 05:39:57 pm »
I'm confused.  You opened the file outside the editor, using cygwin ssh?  Can you explain this a little more?

jasonnet

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 05:52:11 pm »
I'm confused.  You opened the file outside the editor, using cygwin ssh?  Can you explain this a little more?
No.  I'm not doing anything outside of VisualSlickEdit.  I just meant to say that cygwin ssh is the program the VS uses to do SFTP.   I'm in fact not seeing any evidence that VS is attempting to do a SFTP.  (Ex. There is no delay at all switching workspaces and I'd expect a brief delay if VS were refetching files over SFTP.)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 06:34:11 pm »
OK.  Now I understand.

What version of SlickEdit are you using?  I don't see that mentioned.

What happens if you open the editor with a clean configuration?  You can just run "<path>vs -sc tempConfigPath" in a cmd window.

jasonnet

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 10:30:03 pm »
What version of SlickEdit are you using?  I don't see that mentioned.
Visual SlickEdit 15.0.1.3

What happens if you open the editor with a clean configuration?  You can just run "<path>vs -sc tempConfigPath" in a cmd window.
I experience the same problem after I start like you suggest, and then set up SFTP, start a workspace, load a remote file, create a new workspace, load another remote file, switch to the original workspace.  If I continue to switch workspaces three more times, there will be no files loaded at all.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:11 pm »
If you have time, can you download the 21.0.3 trial and see if it exhibits the same behavior?

jasonnet

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 03:44:00 pm »
If you have time, can you download the 21.0.3 trial and see if it exhibits the same behavior?

I just found the time to test that version.   There appears to be no problem with that version.  Everything performs as you'd expect.   That's great news for the community, but unfortunately for me, I can no longer afford the  cost of that upgrade.

Thanks for your help.