Author Topic: Smart File Open with Multiple Matches  (Read 3990 times)

satishmohan

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Smart File Open with Multiple Matches
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »
The smart file open dialog box doesn't handle multiple path matches very well (see attachment). Its hard to pick the correct file when there are multiple path matches - unless you set the width of the dialog box to quite a large value.

Would it be possible to solve this in a better way? Other editors such as Sublime Text/Atom use a dropdown with adequate width - so they aren't subject to this issue.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Smart File Open with Multiple Matches
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »
If you mouse over the path, you'll see the full path.

satishmohan

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
Yes of course  :)  But isn't the entire idea of being a power user - is to avoid using the mouse.  :)

While we are on this topic - would it be possible to support fuzzy search in the file open dialog - the way Sublime Text and Atom do. Thats very handy when you don't remember the name of the file exactly...

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 02:26:43 AM »
There just isn't a great way to dynamically size the open tool window. Sounds like you would prefer a popup dialog with an auto sized list instead of a docked tool window.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 02:34:26 AM »
Could it be possible to provide an option to put the ending part of the path in the column, instead of starting from the beginning, fit into the column so that the end of the path is at the end of the column, and the beginning part is obscured?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:03:00 AM »
Could it be possible to provide an option to put the ending part of the path in the column, instead of starting from the beginning, fit into the column so that the end of the path is at the end of the column, and the beginning part is obscured?

This won't always help.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 03:13:03 AM »
Not always, but often it will as the difference is in the ending directories.

satishmohan

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:53:18 PM »
That may not be a bad idea - I agree it won't always help - but will help in certain use cases. Sounds like an easy to add option also?

I have tried floating the smart file open dialog, so that I can size it wide enough - but then I miss having the open file tree on the left side of the editor all the time.

Another option is to show something like this - where you pick out the differences in the path, and some path elements which are common and show them... This probably is harder to implement but might solve it nicely?

adc.tf        ...../acal_cloud_scripts/.../consumer/...
adc.tf        ...../acal_cloud_scripts/.../producer/...

What do you folks think of Fuzzy File Open? Like the way Atom does it below:

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 05:50:03 PM »
That may not be a bad idea - I agree it won't always help - but will help in certain use cases. Sounds like an easy to add option also?

I have tried floating the smart file open dialog, so that I can size it wide enough - but then I miss having the open file tree on the left side of the editor all the time.

Another option is to show something like this - where you pick out the differences in the path, and some path elements which are common and show them... This probably is harder to implement but might solve it nicely?

adc.tf        ...../acal_cloud_scripts/.../consumer/...
adc.tf        ...../acal_cloud_scripts/.../producer/...

What do you folks think of Fuzzy File Open? Like the way Atom does it below:

Show differences is an interesting idea. Not sure whats better. Showing differences or just the end of the path.

Doesn't the Open tool window already solve the fuzzy file open? Maybe you just want us to add support for recursing some directories unrelated to the workspace.

satishmohan

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »
Well I'm not sure if I'm missing any settings for enabling fuzzy file open?

If I have a file called "lish_win.tf" and in the smart open window, I type "lishwin" or "lishwintf" or "lishtf" - it won't find any matches....

I should be just able to type a few characters from the name and have it show me matches...

Regards

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »
SlickEdit does a contains match (although you can configure it and other special cases). That means if you typed, "lish" or "_win", it will list "lish_win.tf". It doesn't try to change what you typed into an odd wildcard (i.e you type "lishwin" and it searches for l*i*s*w*i*n*).  This would list too many matches for large projects. Wouldn't be hard to add an option for it but it would definitely be off by default.

Note that "lish*win" will match "lish_win"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:54:11 AM by Clark »