Author Topic: Undo doesn't work after diff  (Read 33737 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Re: Undo doesn't work after diff
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »
When having multiple DZ windows (a tree and 2 files), the windows on my KDE taskbar have titled "DIFFzilla(R) Pro", would be nice if the title in the KDE taskbar would show the file name that I'm diffing.

BC shows: "<filename> - Text Compare - Beyond Compare"

rowbearto

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
I think at some point showing the context when launching vsdiff/vsmerge would be useful, because I would eventually have my source code control launch vsmerge when I'm updating my source code to latest trunk, so would not have the luxury of running it from SE.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
While I was looking at the diff of one file in the tree, I wanted to see a second file, but the window with the tree was gone. In BC I can have multiple tabs, one showing the tree and another showing the file I'm diffing. So if I want to see a second file, I can go back to the tab with the directory tree and click on a second file. With DZ it looks like I can look at only 1 diff at a time.

If I launch the diff from SE instead of the command line, then I can have multiple windows (but tabs would be a nice wish).

Above the window for me it states "no current context".

Now I ran vsdiff from the command line and not from SE, don't know if this makes a difference or not.
This is broken if you run vsdiff from the command line.  I don't know why.  It works from the editor, but all the tagging engine is still there.

Confirmed, I do see the context if I launch from SE itself. Lesson learned.

You can launch vsdiff.exe multiple times.  You want to be able to launch another from the same instance, in another tab?

Or what if there was a "Diff..." button that launched the diff setup dialog and you could just launch it in another window?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:34:41 PM by Dan »

rowbearto

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »
When I'm doing directory compare, I want to double click on the file in the file tree to launch vsdiff. It would be more tedious to launch vsdiff from command line as I would have to provide file names again.

So if doing directory compare when launching vsdiff from command line, if I double click on a file in the directory compare, the directory compare window is replaced with file compare, and I only get the directory compare back when I close the file compare.

I'd like to still have access to the directory compare window so I could double-click on another file in the tree. Sure I could go to the command line again, but this is much more typing, requires to get the paths to the files again.

In BC or in DZ when launched from SE, the directory compare window stays up while I'm comparing so that I can go back to it and double-click a 2nd file.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »
It's still there.  It might drop behind something, but it's still there and you can still diff files from it.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
I think at some point showing the context when launching vsdiff/vsmerge would be useful, because I would eventually have my source code control launch vsmerge when I'm updating my source code to latest trunk, so would not have the luxury of running it from SE.

Yes, this a bug and needs to be fixed.  At this point I'm getting a little overloaded and can't swear to get to it for 22.0.0, but will get to it.

rowbearto

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
OK, I see it is still there, BUT, there is no tab on the KDE taskbar for it, so that is why I didn't think it was there.

When launching form SE, there is still a tab on the KDE taskbar for the tree, and when double-clicking on a file there is a new tab in the KDE taskbar for the file.

But when launching from command line, there is only 1 tab on the KDE taskbar instead of 2 (tree and file).

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2017, 03:44:30 PM »
OK.  I'm not sure what I can do about that, but I'll check.

I'm going to check out of this thread for a little while to try to get some stuff done.  Keep posting, I'll just read later.  Don't feel you're being ignored, you're not.

There's lots of good ideas here, and we appreciate all of them.  If we don't get ideas from our users, we'll keep adding what seem like great ideas to us... which sometimes prove not to be what our users want.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:35:50 PM by Dan »

rowbearto

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »
Just want to point out that when I launch DZ from SE, that there is a KDE tab for the directory tree and each file that I'm diffing. So there most likely something that can be done to make this work when DZ is launched from the command line because it works when DZ is launched from SE.

rowbearto

« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2017, 08:46:47 PM »
Another nice feature would be to be able to show files in hex mode. I have a binary file that I'm diffing and when I try to switch to hex mode, DZ says: "Command 'hex' currently not allowed in Diff mode". BC is able to compare binary files in hex mode.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2017, 12:52:13 AM »
I think supporting hex mode is doable. There are quite a few other features I think DZ needs first though. This thread has been helpful.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:38:50 PM by Clark »

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2017, 06:31:26 PM »
Oh boy ... more features in hex mode would be really nice (besides diff).

Hex mode should have features like a good debugger Memory view window.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »
Oh boy ... more features in hex mode would be really nice (besides diff).

Hex mode should have features like a good debugger Memory view window.

You might want to put this in the Features and/or Improvements forum so it does not get lost... but this thread will move there when the beta closes because there's so many good diff ideas here.

rgloden

• Hero Points: 5
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2018, 08:37:01 PM »
DiffZilla and BC both have their places ...but for the hard merges I seem to gravitate to BC.

A few things in BC that would also be nice in DiffZilla:
  • BC has a category called "Unimportant Diffs" which are highlighted in a different color, e.g. spacing or comment changes.  The user can define rules (e.g. regEx's) for Unimportant Diffs.  Unimportant diffs can be quickly "ignored" via a toolbar button.
  • BC allows you to quickly toggle between viewing just the differences and full text.  It also allows you to define the viewable context surrounding the difference, e.g. the number of lines around the difference.  And when in differences only view, you can expand the context of the difference section(s) for which you need more context.
  • BC allows you to select a ranges of lines to merge, e.g. instead of just one Line or Block at a time, you can select multiple lines and then merge to the other side
  • BC allows you to click a line and it then displays that line from both files stacked vertically on top of each other ... helps to quickly understand a nuance difference if you can see each version of a line vertically stacked
  • BC allows you from a Windows or Linux file explorer, to select two directories and compare them via the right mouse button popup context menu.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:31:44 PM by rgloden »

rowbearto

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2018, 11:03:36 PM »
I agree with everything rgloden wrote. These are all features in BC that I find extremely useful.

Regarding the visual provided in BC, comparing the left/right lines at the bottom and showing them one on top of the other, BC also allows you to show this in hex in addition to text, I find myself using the hex feature in this visual often as well - so please add that to the list.