Author Topic: Changes in toolbar configuration lost after SE restart  (Read 6670 times)

assafb

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Changes in toolbar configuration lost after SE restart
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:29:48 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to save changes I made to toolbar configuration (hiding "preview", adding "symbol lookup" etc.)

However, after SE restart this changes are lost.

I tried running save-config and other 'save-*' commands, with no success.

Any idea?

Thanks.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Changes in toolbar configuration lost after SE restart
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:01:57 PM »
Toolbar changes like those are saved automatically. Are other changes saved, such as the set of open files? What platform are you on? Are you sure you have write access to your config directory?

assafb

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 05:47:16 AM »
Scott, thanks for your reply. Answers inline.

>Toolbar changes like those are saved automatically.
> Are other changes saved, such as the set of open files?
No, they are not. But changes in Tools-options are saved.

> What platform are you on?
Solaris

>Are you sure you have write access to your config directory?
Yes, I do.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 02:30:35 PM »
Information about the set of open tool windows, their size, and the set of open files is stored in vrestore.slk in your config directory. On Windows, thats "My Documents\My SlickEdit Config". That directory has an entry for each version of SlickEdit you have installed, so you should look under "12.0.0' if you're running v12.

Double-check the file permissions on vrestore.slk. If we can't write to that file, then SlickEdit will come back up with the same set of tool windows and editor buffers open.

--Scott

assafb

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »
vrestore.slk under my '12.0.0' dir is rw for myself.
I also chmod it to 0777 just to make sure - however the problem persist.

So it must be another issue..

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 03:23:09 PM »
Wow, this is a tough one!  Please backup your config directory before trying the following ideas!!!!

Run tbResetAll from the SlickEdit command line (press ESC in CUA emulation, see the user guide for others).  That will reset your toolbars to their default state and may clear any log jams that are causing this problem.

If that doesn't work, we need to see if this problem shows up with a default config. Exit SlickEdit, and backup you config directory. I know I said that twice, but it's THAT important. Now delete the contents of your config directory. Leave the 12.0.0 subdirectory in place, just delete all the stuff it contains. When you start SlickEdit, it will see the empty config directory and create a new, default config. If you delete the 12.0.0 subdirectory, it will copy your config from an earlier version of SlickEdit. Now try rearranging your tool windows and see if the state is remembered.

If that works, then your best bet is to reapply any config changes you made using the new config. If it didn't, then we're back to some really evil permissions issue. You appear to be on Linux or Unix, which platform? Please select Help > About SlickEdit and post the contents of the Program Information tab.

--Scott

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 02:28:12 PM »
Support says they are working on this with you, so there's really nothing more I'll be able to do.

--Scott