Author Topic: B3: After pressing Ctrl-F for BigFind, focus is not always in the dialog  (Read 804 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 100
When I press Ctrl+F, I expect that when I start typing after then the characters will go into the "Search for:" field of BigFind dialog (I am configured to have Ctrl+F for BigFind, don't use minifind).

However it is not always the case. Sometimes after pressing Ctrl+F, when I type it is going into the editor window. Other times when I start typing, behavior is correct and the characters go into "Search For:". I haven't yet figured out the pattern for when behavior is incorrect/correct - seems random but probably not. To reproduce you can retry it many times.

I don't remember this happening with Beta2.

rowbearto

Re: B3: After pressing Ctrl-F for BigFind, focus is not always in the dialog
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
SE team: Any luck in reproducing this? It is causing me headaches.

Seems pretty random, I can't find exactly what I'm doing when it happens, I think it occurs if I haven't done a search for a while, or if I open a new file in smart open, or double click in search results to open a file - but not always - have not figured out the pattern yet that causes this to occur.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 124
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:55:49 pm »
Do you have it docked or does it always float?

rowbearto

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »
The BigFind window always floats.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:09:47 pm by rowbearto »

rowbearto

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 01:37:57 pm »
I tried docking BigFind (was not aware that was possible), and so far (after almost 1 day of using it) I don't have this problem with the focus not getting into BigFind when it is docked. Pressing Ctrl+F always puts the focus into docked BigFind - and I like docked BigFind.

So the issue seems to be with floating BigFind. As I like the docked BigFind now, I switched to that. If the issue does start to happen with docked bigfind, I'll write back.

rowbearto

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:01:41 pm »
Docking the BigFind can sometimes have a problem, so it would be good to get the issue of getting focus into the BigFind fixed. The issue with docking is described in this post: https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,15631.0.html

So when I have a smaller screen, I won't want to dock BigFind, but then I keep running into the issue of not getting focus in BigFind when I press Ctrl+F and text goes into my editor windows.

I am using Linux x64 with CentOS version 7.2. I provided SE team with a virtual machine of this in another post - Dennis should have it. Maybe you can try to reproduce it there? It happens randomly, sometimes the focus is not there, but sometimes it is.