Author Topic: The project configuration drop down menu is too small.  (Read 3513 times)

paulae

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
The project configuration drop down menu is too small.
« on: September 07, 2017, 04:38:42 PM »
I realize most people probably have really simple project configurations, like "release, x86" or "debug, amd64" for example. Unfortunately, the configurations for the codebase I'm working on are broken down like this: Display Driver Model, CPU, build type, "special thing for windows 10"
So, a typical configuration for my project looks like:
wddm2_amd64_release_cfg
or
winnext_x86_develop
(There are a large number of these configurations, as you might expect for each project)

The project configurations drop down menu is just too small to display the configurations we use. There doesn't seem to be any way to resize it, which is unfortunate, because the project drop down is a lot bigger than what we typically use, but the configuration drop down is way too small.

Is there any way to fix this?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: The project configuration drop down menu is too small.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »
Do you mean the Project Properties dialog configurations combo box is too small?

paulae

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:42:55 AM »
It's the second combo box on the project tools tool bar. I've attached an image of it, so you can see what I'm talking about.

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
I can't check your specific dialog right now, but I've changed font sizes in Options-->Appearance-->Fonts-->Element "Dialog" "HTML proportional" HTML fixed" in order to enlarge various elements in the SlickEdit UI and dialogs. I find changing those three elements to 11 point size in HD screen resolution and higher to be better for older eyes.

Also changing the font (on MS Windows SlickEdit) to Consolas for fixed fonts and Tahoma for proportional fonts is a gain in legibility IMHO.

paulae

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
The issue isn't that I can't read the text - I can read it fine. The issue is that at a readable size, the text is clipped. Take a look at the picture I attached to my prior post. The project selection combo box is larger. It turns out our project names are short. The combo box for build configurations is smaller, and our build configurations are much longer than "debug" or "release".

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »
It is kind of small.  I can make it bigger for the next release (or at least a hotfix thereafter).  Would doubling the width do the trick for you?

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 05:01:02 PM »
The issue isn't that I can't read the text - I can read it fine. The issue is that at a readable size, the text is clipped. Take a look at the picture I attached to my prior post. The project selection combo box is larger. It turns out our project names are short. The combo box for build configurations is smaller, and our build configurations are much longer than "debug" or "release".

Ooops, I should have been far more careful in reading your original post. Sorry about that.

In addition to widening the combo box, maybe also add mouse-over text for each of the combo-box choices? (Can't remember if that already exists.)

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »
I happen to like the size that it is, so that I can fit some more icons on my toolbar.

Any way to make the size of it configurable to handle some users that like its current size and other users that want it bigger?

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »
Just my $0.02.  Why not leave the width of the box as is, with a hover/tooltip showing the full selection?  Make the dropdown list the width of the widest entry.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
+1 for jimlangrunner's idea!

paulae

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »
It is kind of small.  I can make it bigger for the next release (or at least a hotfix thereafter).  Would doubling the width do the trick for you?

Yes, that would help. Allowing people to size it would be the most helpful, I think, or auto-sizing it based on the length of menu items. I can understand people who's configurations are "release" and "debug" not wanting to pay the screen real estate for my configurations like "wddm2mob_amd64_release_cfg." Ours are so long because they are really four different configurations concatenated into one - "OS" + "CPU" + "build type" + "special thing for Win 10 (control flow gate)"

The full name does appear when you hover over a menu item, but it's really hard to always reliably know that you've selected that - as I have many, many entries per project.

Thanks for looking at this!

paulae

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
I just tried the release candidate build, thank you for fixing this - I can finally read all of my build configurations now!